Error when installing the Docker container

docker

I wanted to give Discourse a try, and I used the Github Wiki article to set up the Docker image.

Running the bootstrap command returns an error.

./launcher bootstrap app

RuntimeError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake assets:precompile’ failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 315 exit 1>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:105:in `spawn’
exec failed with the params {“cd”=>"$home", “hook”=>“bundle_exec”, “cmd”=>[“su discourse -c ‘bundle install --deployment --verbose --without test --without development’”, “su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake db:migrate’”, “su discourse -c ‘bundle exec rake assets:precompile’”]}
d72b5a13500f316185d2c4a698851bff941ecc701453f476e47e542b734fa75f
FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP

I did exactly what the article suggests, and I haven’t skipped any steps. What would you advise?

(Ker Ruben Ramos) #2

how much RAM you got? Got swap too? I’m guessing assets:precompile crashed half-way.

Ok, that makes sense. I don’t have a swap file and it’s a small DO instance.
I assumed it would be enough just for an install and no production use.
Thanks. I’ll use a bigger instance.

(Raymond) #4

I had the same problem while using an openvz container. in openvz you can check /proc/user_beancounters and see if your container hit any memory limits. The precompile script does crash halfway with low memory and gives no indication that it failed as such leaving you with a mangled install. Up the ram and re run both database population steps and things should be ok. you’ll have in the 260 range of items when doing a \dS+ in postgres.

Ray