Event Signup Sheet Plugin

(Noah Lackstein) #1

This is a modified polls plugin that shows the usernames of everyone that selected each option.

You can install it by adding git clone https://github.com/lackstein/discourse_signups.git to your app.yml file then running ./launcher rebuild app

It has all the same basic features that are included in the default poll plugin, such as single
and multiple choice signups, and min/max number of selections for multiple signups.

There are also some additional goodies, like the ability to remove your vote and unsignup for
an event. There’s also a button to automatically start a private message with everyone that
has signed up, visible only to users that have edit permissions for that post.

It also adds a calendar button to the text editor that automatically adds the markup for a
signup sheet to the post you’re editing.

Usage

Pretty much identical to the official polls plugin, just with ‘signup’ substituted for ‘poll’

Example:

[signup type=multiple min=2 max=3]
- option 1
- option 2
- option 3
- option 4
[/signup]

Type, min, and max can all be ommitted, and you’ll get a signup sheet that only allows one
option to be selected. Min and max are both optional for type=multiple.

Configuration

There are three Configuration options that can be changed from the admin settings page.

1. You can enable or disable the signups plugin (default enabled).

2. You can limit the maximum number of options in each signup sheet (default 4).

3. You can change the noun used to describe the people that have signed up for the event.

There are options for the singular and plural version of the noun, which will be used
    for the English translations, which are the only ones included. The default is person/people,
    but you can see that it has been changed to rider/riders in the screenshots above.

Try out public polls
Discourse Voting
Long term whisper posts on topics?
Try out public polls
(Steve Combs) #2

Really great work. Would love to see this in core. Answers a lot of questions from people on how to handle events in Discourse. Looks like a Meetup.com and Facebook Events killer. I really like how it incorporates the clean Discourse look and feel.

(Sam Saffron) #3

Yeah I wonder if you can do a PR and make this an option on poll

[poll public_votes]
[/poll]

Something like that, we have also had the need for this in the past. Its a common enough request.

(Stephen) #4

This would be incredibly useful for us, we’re currently using a number of external services for this very reason.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Sure this was on @zogstrip’s list for eventual poll improvements, along with setting a close date for a poll.

(Tom Newsom) #6

This looks fantastic :slight_smile:
Nearly all the polls we create would benefit from being public, and the UI button will make it much easier for people to use. I’m installing this asap.

(Tom Newsom) #7

As Admin, I get “500 Error” when trying to delete a signup (empty, closed) from another user’s post.

(dave) #8

We just installed this on our site, but I can’t get the sample to work. It shows the link to ID who has signed up, but the code isn’t read as a poll, it’s read as a list without the fancy poll additions.

I cut and pasted this:

- option 1
- option 2
- option 3
- option 4
[/signup]

EDIT: Hard refresh fixed it.

(Michael Mitchell) #11

I LOVE this plugin. The only problem with it is that I CANNOT limit the maximum amount of people that can sign up… I find this to be a problem mainly when I am trying to get a group together to do something that can only take a fixed number of people. For example 6. Is there a way to only limit 6 people or however many I want to sign up? Is there a plan to bring this functionality to this plugin? Is there some other plugin to get this functionality otherwise?

(Noah Lackstein) #12

That definitely sounds like a useful option. I’ll see if I can get it in this weekend or next.

(Michael Mitchell) #13

Thank you very much, I appreciate it! @lackstein

(Alex Armstrong) #14

I have a question: if you wanted to send a message to everyone who signed up (or selected option 1 in the poll, or whatever) how would you do it?

My use case is that for this featured to be usable in our site we’d need to privately send a link to those who signed up, so that they can attend a webinar.

We would also need to stop the signup/poll at some point, based on either number of time or both.

(In a perfectly ideal universe I would also be able to get a CSV export of the users who signed up, with their usernames and emails, as we use their email to match them up against our other systems. Sometimes by hand.)

(Alan Lehman) #15

I installed this plugin and created a test post using the example:

Test signup sheet. Choose an option.

• option 1
  • option 2
  • option 3
  • option 4
    [/signup]

When I view the topic, all I see is the heading I created. No body text, no sign-up sheet, not even any editing options:

The plugin shows up as enabled in the admin/plugins list.

My app.yml did not include the line:

• mkdir -p plugins

so I tried adding it, as shown in the example but it did not seem to make any difference. I do not see a plugins directory. As a test I installed the spoiler alert plugin and it seems to work.

Discourse v 1.8.0.beta7

Any ideas would be most appreciated (I’m a newby to Discourse).
Alan

(Noah Lackstein) #16

Sorry about that, but this plugin isn’t compatible with the current version of Discourse. I think it last worked with Discourse 1.6. I’m hoping to find some time to fix it up eventually, but since there are now public polls it’s a low priority.

(Sam Saffron) #17

Thanks for alerting me, moving this to #plugin:broken-plugin for now.

@lackstein let me know if this is fixed.

(Alan Lehman) #18

OK. If you need help with testing let me know.

(Kevin) #19

Would be interesting if you could group all of these events together in one page to view all upcoming events. Would this be something you might be interested in building?

(Aneesh Jose) #20

This was a nice plugin. Is anyone going to fix this?