Events Plugin 📆

Well I have no idea how to translate this for my language in a way people would understand lol…

@angus I’m happy to help :smile: I just noticed there are some small errors because of the lack of context when translating but now that I see it live, I see that small things can be changed.

That would be like removing a final “.” where it shouldn’t be there, but I can’t do that anymore in transifex? The option to save changes is greyed out?

1 Like

I think the quick edit of topic titles, category, tags etc (pencil link next to title) does not bump the topic. This would be another reason @angus to add event details editing there, as I’ve requested previously.

I have this same situation and don’t see it as a big deal even if it’s a bit repetitive. I keep the date in the title, in parentheses after the topic title. Example:

hehe. not such a big deal, really, since it’s just an admin setting. You could just call it whatever “main menu” is in your language.

1 Like

Actually, It’s a little bit confusing that the date (and if set, also the time) will be shown in topic title names and while working inside the topic, the short term is disappearing and becomes minimalistic.

There are some events, like course series, that doesn’t change the name at all, except of the date and iteration.

A perfect workaround for me and others, with (dozens of) existing dates inside the topic title, would be some kind of auto-detection method. This functionality should keep the previous date value inside the topic title and automatically add it as event date (without any specific time 00:00).

I guess this would save some of us a lot of time by not changing hundreds of topic names and adding date (and time) values manually. In addition to that, I‘m much more confident about the reliability in case the plugin will eventually stop working in the future. The most important information, the date next to the event name, is there it should be.

Trying to auto-detect dates folks have entered into titles as raw text is not practical. The permutations of formatting are many and various.

I’m happy to help you out with specific concerns, but I can’t really help with the general concern that the plugin may break one day in some unspecified way.

In a cosmic sense, all things break eventually. All I can say is that I plan to continue supporting this plugin for the foreseeable future.

3 Likes

I find this very helpful. Thanks for creating this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As far as I know, there are not so many (most commonly used) permutations

(YY)YY-MM-DD +
DD-MM-YY(YY) +
(YY)YY-MM-D(D) +
D(D)-MM-YY(YY) +
… and the written word of the month between the day and year.

… with a dot or “-” as separator. And there are existing validation methods out there.

I’m glad to hear this. This is very kind and I appreciate this.

Discourse requires it’s own (at least virtual) server and is very powerful by default. Most of the features are way better than previous stand-alone / plugin LAMP solutions, I’ve tried dozens over the years. Some people might call it the “Eierlegende Wollmilchsau”. :smiley: For the first time in history we’ve got a open source solution, I would bet, this could work at least the next 10 years. Perfect for knowledge base use-cases …

Over the past years, I’m maintaining my instances in the most reliable way. I guess, most of us experienced broken rebuilds, blank pages and other major issues … at least for a couple of minutes up to several hours. That’s way, I prefer official plugins more than other great plugins, like this one. Events is amazing, but I don’t like to change all of the topic names to have a unified scheme. All of my topic names follow the scheme “DD.MM.YYYY - Name” (sometimes with comma instead of - ).

By the way: There is small usability issue.
I’ve experienced an issue with “long” category and subcategory names with the new tabs “calendar” and “agenda” next to it. The topic buttons on the top right corner creating a line break. Especially on mobile devices. Therefore, I’m also looking for a setting to enable a drop-down menu for both new entries OR by merging both views in one tab. You might know, like the list view of this calender on the top right corner.

What do think? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@angus: I have thought a little bit about my issue with the new topic title declaration.

To keep all my previous topic titles unchanged, I just need the possibility to remove the text in “events event label short format”.

But if I do so, I’ve still found some (very long) unfomated date and time information in my topic list.

It would be great, if some function interpret an empty format field field as “show no date/time info” at all.

Wish you a nice weekend so far!

1 Like

My suggestion would be that you create a rake task or database query to search for topics with that scheme in the title and then enable events with dates for matching titles. It might get complicated but would not require Angus to put in work that he doesn’t need for his own purposes, and without extending the events plugin unnecessarily. It’s already full of some pretty amazing functionality and if he works on it more I’d prefer it if he added improvements to the RSVP feature. It has so much promise. :seedling:

I don’t know how to create this query, but I think alot of people (including me) would benefit from it. Maybe Angus can give you some pointers.

Sure, a rake task could handle this as well. Maybe? Actually, I don’t know, what will happen. I have no experience with that and destroying the database with no experience on a productive system is more than a fail.

But what I can say is, that some kind of “if-then-else” routine at the right line of code, would be much easier and other people like me, would also benefit from this.

IF (events event label short format) IS EMPTY
THEN replace ($date and $time value in topic lists) with (``)
OTHERWISE (do nothing and interpret the format as usual)

I really appreciate any kind of help.

2 Likes

Sure, that’s reasonable. I’ve made that change.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-events/commit/4d0aef6764d989cbfe7cb787b0eb58bf50888a90

4 Likes

Thank you @angus ! This helps me a lot.

Bug: Not sure why, but on Mobile Safari, Discourse is showing the agenda still with date values.

Missing setting: I don’t know how this area is officially called, but I guess, if you could integrate the Events date edit button to this area, it would be possible to instantly add date/time values and Discourse isn’t bumping up each topic to recent activities. You might know the silent minor edits…

After re-enabling the checkbox in category preferences, all recently edited topics are visible on the front page. This is bad, in case, I need to push new material to this category and everything old will pop-up between the new stuff.

Maybe my expectations are too high and specific. But maintaining old events is a big pain in the ass :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve fixed the issue with mobile :slight_smile:

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-events/commit/bb6fd588e3505f7fc9929e0aaa1694e0c8123985

Having an extra event control in the topic edit area has been requested in the past. It’ll happen soon.

4 Likes

Is there ICAL support yet? It’s not mentioned in the Media tab of the information panel in Firefox.

1 Like

@angus Any news on why I can’t edit again the translations? I can improve them know that I can see them live, mostly small fixes, but the option is greyed out for me?

Yes. You can download an .ics file (“Add to Calendar” in topic), and / or subscribe to the webcal feed (“Subscribe” on the calendar).

Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re referring to. You’re unsure how to use Transifex?

1 Like

I enabled the Agenda topic, and expected to have agenda.ics showing up in the media/feeds list of Firefox for all events mentioned there.

The ical feed is in the format webcal://{domain}/{agenda || calendar}.ics?time_zone={timezone}, e.g.
webcal://discourse.angusmcleod.com.au/agenda.ics?time_zone=Australia/Melbourne. Stick that into a ical feed service and it will work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m trying to remove the “.” but I can’t save it. I don’t know why.

You might need to ask Transifex’s support team.

If you remove more characters does the button become active?

No, no matter how much I change I can’t save it. This happened after you accepted and pushed the translations…I think they may be locked?