Facebook-style "X people have viewed this, *and* they are ..."

(Lupine) #1

Hi all,

I help admin a roller derby team that uses a private facebook group for that at the moment; and one thing facebook has started doing fairly recently is to tell you who has seen a post you’ve made.

I’m trying to get us to a discourse instance instead, for various reasons, and this is one piece of functionality that the league admins actually use - it lets them see who’s read or hasn’t read announcements, for instance.

Does it exist in Discourse yet? I’ve had a poke around and can’t find anything obvious. Would a patch to add it as an option be welcome? Whether “has seen” should mean “we’ve rendered the topic title for the user”, or “the user has entered the topic” is a question that might need clarification, of course. I’m not sure what it means in FB at the moment.

(Sam Saffron) #2

The information exists, but there is no UI. There are privacy concerns, so clearly its not a default on thing.

Can you show us a UI mock of what you are intending?

(Lupine) #3

Thanks for the response :). It’d definitely need to be off-by-default, and I’d probably also push to have the option for it to be enabled for certain groups of people only.

A rough mockup could look a tiny bit like:

https://lupine.me.uk/static/mockup.png

on hover - which is a blatant rip-off of what facebook does now. On click, you’d get a little scrollable fake pop-up that lets you view the full list. Bonus points for a filter box, I guess. UX is something they keep me away from at work :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

There has been some discussion of this possibly being enabled by default for private messages.

(Tomo Vukasović) #5

I ran this mode on VB 3 and it was not supported well by the community. Mostly due to privacy concerns. I remember keeping it visible only to mods.

(Kane York) #6

Note that currently in Discourse, it is restricted to those with DB or backup access.