Failed to bootstrap 512mb droplet

Hello to everybody,
my informatic knowledge are very basic… I’m trying to installa a discourse’s instance, following the basic guide
I think that I’ve done some mistakes in editing Discourse configuration through Nano (because it’s the only thing where i have to write something more than past and copy… :sweat_smile:)
When I do

./launcher bootstrap app

I get this:

FAILED
--------------------
RuntimeError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --verbose --without test --without development' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 313 exit 137>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:105:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --verbose --without test --without development'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile'"]}
66031167cd940e060dc9a48e784be2e3f5de930f777066299250e7d8bbd40581
FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP
root@dondurito:/var/discourse#

And when I’ve edited Nano, before launching bootstrapp, I’ve done everything the guide said… I’ve deleted “#” where the image of the guide showed… I’ve also set this

#db_shared_buffers: "128MB"

(maybe do I have to delete any other “#”?)

Sorry, maybe I’m missing something really stupid (but I’ve never used a cloud and I can’t use a terminal!)

Thank you very much

(Gerhard Schlager) #2

Sounds like you’re running out of memory.
How much memory does your server have? How large is your swap file?

If you have only 1GB of memory you should lower the number of unicorn workers. From app.yml:

## TODO: How many concurrent web requests are supported?
## With 2GB we recommend 3-4 workers, with 1GB only 2
#UNICORN_WORKERS: 3

(Jens Maier) #3

Note that at this point during the bootstrap, unicorn is not even running; it’s still trying to install the gems Discourse needs…

@armando, look through /var/log/messages for error messages from the time when you tried to bootstrap Discourse, especially if there are any lines with “invoked oom-killer” in them.

No, no, I’ve set that well, as showed in the guide (2 unicorn workers) :confused:

Maybe I’m too ignorant even to find what you suggested… I have no /var/log/messages, but I have a /var/log/dmesg (and in dmesg there isn’t anything like “invoked oom-killer”).
I have 1gb cloud, I haven’t created a swap (I read I can create it also in other moment…), in order to not complicate too much my test…
I’ve set the nameserver of Digitalocean in my dns, I’ve associated my domain in digital ocean…
I’ve followed all the guide, I’ve edited through Nano ONLY what guide says (I’ve also copied the text in http://www.yamllint.com/ and it says its syntax is ok).
:worried:

ok stop, I have only 512mb cloud, not 1gb!
It coul be a reason of fail?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Yes, 1GB is the minimum for Discourse.

If you’re on Ubuntu system messages should be in /var/log/syslog instead of /var/log/messages