"Failed to create swap, sorry!"

(Matt Palmer) #21

You can get a DigitalOcean droplet capable of running Discourse (and Wordpress) for $10-$20/month. Media Temple are lying to you (and ripping you off) by claiming they’re giving you a VPS. If you can’t setup swap, it’s not a VPS.

Do i take them to task on that? Give me the words i need to yell at them with.

(Matt Palmer) #23

“Please cancel my account”.

My trouble is that i’m a creative sort looking to install tools to support a new venture. i’m not a Linux monkey. i don’t know how to admin a server, and i’m lost (or better yet, frustrated) without a gui (or… better still… it’s far faster for me to click a button than to type something into a command prompt). i despise the command line. So i need tools like Plesk. If something goes wrong with a Digital Ocean cloud server, i’ll have absolutely no idea how to cope. i only barely understand what’s going on with this swapfile situation.

(Matt Palmer) #25

You may want to avail yourself of a service to assist in the setup and configuration of Discourse, then, such as https://literatecomputing.com, or a fully-managed hosted service from https://discourse.org/buy or https://www.discoursehosting.com.

Truly wondering if Discourse is worth all the trouble of finding a new host and migrating all of my existing sites.

The reason Discourse appeals to me is that it looks right at home on mobile, and the badge system is crucial to what i’m doing. A few years ago, i used phpBB, and was just run off my feet swatting away all the spammers and hacking attempts. It was a real nightmare.

My ideal solution is a board system that can sit reasonably seamlessly next to my site’s Wordpress install, and one where i can kind of piggyback/highjack the user info to store other database variables. i want to combine board involvement with a sort of a game on my site, if that makes sense?

(Matt Palmer) #27

You don’t need to run everything on one server. Discourse runs Just Fine on a server separate from your Wordpress install, and we’ve got a multitude of hosted customers doing just that.

(Kane York) #28

Wow, this is overpriced!

image image

And it’s not like DigitalOcean has bad support or anything - DO is actually considered a little bit higher than bare price to pay for the nice-to-have things.

Unfortunately, you’ll probably have quite the adventure if you try to migrate everything :confused:

Matt, will Discourse work on multiple servers with single sign-on though?

i’m holding out hope that i can have Wordpress/Discourse (or whatever) SSO, and to be able to query and write to the membership database from other pages i create on my site.

(Jay Pfaffman) #30

Yes. Sso works just fine across multiple servers-that’s pretty much the point of it.

You can have multiple sites use discourse as the SSO master.

What think you want is to leave all of your WordPress sites alone and add discourse on digital ocean. I’m working on a tool akin to cpanel that’ll let you manage some discourse functions, but it’s not ready yet.

As mentioned above you can get me to install for you (literatecomputing.com) & there’s a digital ocean referral code on my site that’ll give you a $10 credit.

Different domains though, right? My users will go from mydomain.com to discourse.myotherdomain.com ? Seems a bit seamy.

That issue aside, let me describe the kind of thing i want to do, and maybe let me know if it’s possible with Wordpress + Discourse + Other Things.

A visitor goes to a page on my site (whether Wordpress or otherwise). i check logged in status, and if logged in, i check the hasCarrot flag the database associated with that user. If true, i serve up a jpg of a carrot. If false, an empty carrot jar jpg.

If the user clicks the carrot image, the user unlocks a carrot badge on Discourse (and i flag hasCarrot to false in the db). (Can i do that? Can i have badge hooks external to Discourse?)

So yeah - that’s it. 1) Check logged in status, 2) react in various ways based on conditions of non-Discourse-native database entries (in a db tied to Discourse membership), and 3) hook into the badge system outside of Discourse.

(Jeff Wong) #32

Honestly, I much prefer subdomains to pathing different webapps. As long as it falls under *.mydomain.com, I’m inclined to trust it the same. While discourse supports being subpathed (and it’s possible to proxy through one domain to another), I would advise against going down that route.

The badge is definitely possible to do. You can just hook into discourse via its API.

(Jay Pfaffman) #33

They can go from your.com to discourse.your.com. Do you want multiple discourse or one that answers to many names?

You can have wordpress pass group information to discourse. It could also do other stuff using api calls.

(Jeff Wong) #34

If I’m understanding correctly, your.com is the wordpress site, and he was hoping to have discourse be “the same” domain when users are in the wordpress side, eg your.com/discourse.

(Jay Pfaffman) #35

Then he should search for “subfolder #howto” and and find Subfolder support with Docker

So to be clear, your. com/discourse and discourse.your.com are both possible, even when the content of your.com and the Discourse install are running on separate servers?

Between WP and Discourse (or an as-yet-unknown[by me] third option), i don’t know which app should “own” the user accounts and registration process. Any perspective on that?

(OHHHH and i should also mention… i have to somehow connect it all to a Patreon page. :wink:

(Stephen Chung) #37

Usually “Managed” VPS’s mean you don’t have a real VPS because somebody is “managing” it for you. A “real” VPS you need to do all that management yourself.

(Mittineague) #38

Disclosure: I have no personal experience, these are only observations.

Over the last few years I have seen more topics dealing with subfolder problems than subdomain problems here at meta. At least some of the CDCK have advised against it.

The “main” SitePoint site is WordPress, the community is Discourse.

It took some work to get a unified registration / login process in place, but relatively not a long time, and with extremely rare times where “manual” fixes were needed.

The common header took some customized work. But for “branding” it helps a lot.

lMHO, the most work would involve CSS to get both WordPress and a Discourse to not clash, if not similar.

This is true for WordPress and Discourse regardless of setup and depend on your concept of “brand image”.

If the unique difference is between the registration / login process, and subdomain is advised over subfolder I would do that in hopes I had few problems due to my lack of sys op abilities.

(Felix Freiberger) #39

Using a subfolder with Discourse running on a different server is a difficult and somewhat strange setup, I wouldn’t recommend that. (Usually, there is no reason to prefer a subfolder setup anyway.)
Running Discourse on a subdomain (of your usual domain, it doesn’t have to be a different base domain) works fine, independently of whether Discourse is physically running on the same server :slight_smile:

(Jay Pfaffman) #40

Subfolder install needs discourse to be on the same server as the other site.

Which site is the SSO master depends on what you want. Often people use WordPress because it’s already what they are using. Some use discourse because it’s good at social logins.

There is a patreon plugin that will allow patreon to handle logins.