Recently @chrishunt added a cool option that allows display of notifications superimposed on the favicon
I really think this feature is a user preference as opposed to a site preference:
- Some users have a trillion tabs open and are fighting for real estate to display notifications
- Some users (me) like the consistency with gmail and twitter, so displaying notifications as: (2) works better (it also reminds me to close tabs :))
My questions are:
- Should we push this setting into user preferences?
- Should we extract the favicon stuff into a plugin or does it belong in core?
- (to @chrishunt) current implementation is way too subtle, gmail labs has a similar feature but it includes a dimmed circle around the number count.
I am disabling this from meta for now while we sort out what we do with it.