Favicon notification

(Sam Saffron) #1

Recently @chrishunt added a cool option that allows display of notifications superimposed on the favicon

I really think this feature is a user preference as opposed to a site preference:

• Some users have a trillion tabs open and are fighting for real estate to display notifications
  • Some users (me) like the consistency with gmail and twitter, so displaying notifications as: (2) works better (it also reminds me to close tabs :))

I am pretty sure @geek and @supermathie will want to weigh in here cause he is a heavy users of this feature.

My questions are:

• Should we push this setting into user preferences?
  • Should we extract the favicon stuff into a plugin or does it belong in core?
  • (to @chrishunt) current implementation is way too subtle, gmail labs has a similar feature but it includes a dimmed circle around the number count.

I am disabling this from meta for now while we sort out what we do with it.

(Lowell Heddings) #2

Yes, user preference. People not pinning tabs don’t need it.

Make it look like the Gmail one.

(Chris Hunt) #3

I’d love for this to be a user preference so I can enable it everywhere :smiley:

I agree with everything said. I don’t care about the plugin vs non-plugin myself. I currently have no idea how plugins work, so that would be a good learning exercise.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I say let’s just move this to “user preferences” then and we can worry about turning it into a plugin later if we want to.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Wait, why can’t we do both of these things, at the same time e.g. have both:

1. the HTML <title> tag update with a number like (2)

2. the favicon change to include the number

active at once? What’s the harm? That covers people who have tiny tabs, and people who have large tabs.

(Sam Saffron) #6

The double notification looks odd and is very uncommon.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I think that’s your opinion, I am not sure I agree doing both is all that “odd”, though I really don’t care much either way. Notifications are very important though, certainly enough to justify an icon and a textual treatment at the same time.

I just feel like this will be a user pref used by a tiny, tiny percent of people. There is a reason this is in “GMail Google labs” and not part of GMail proper. I don’t want to clutter user prefs with a bunch of super rare stuff, so would rather just have both modes active all the time.

I also think this point is important.

(Andrew Hunn) #8

I think turning the dynamic favicon into a plugin makes more sense. There would then need to be a way to disable the updating counter in the title as well, or, better yet, hook into the Settings panel and toggle back and forth between the two (is that possible?).

I think having a way for plugins to hook into certain functionality and then become choices in the backend would be a pretty versatile feature. You could then support multiple smilie packs, for example.

Is pushing some of these ancillary functions like polling, emoji, etc. out into official plugins the way forward for some of these features? I just haven’t seen a strategy or plan articulated from a member of the team on this issue. I think it makes an incredible amount of sense for some of these features that are really cool, but also add unnecessary overhead to the project as a whole.

BTW, enabling both a dynamic favicon and textual indicators in the title at the same time is very confusing.

(Lowell Heddings) #9

That reason is pretty simple: Most people don’t use pinned tabs, which is the only time that you really need the favicon counter instead of the title counter.

(ComputerDruid) #10

Another reason to have the title change even if the favicon changes:

At least in firefox, when the <title> changes, the app/pinned tab will glow to indicate a notification.

(quick stackoverflow research)

(Sam Saffron) #11

Getting the “double” notification really really bothered me. It just looked wrong.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #12

Gmail always updates the <title/>, e.g., “Inbox (2) - xyz@gmail.com - Gmail”. The only option available is whether to update the favicon–defaulted to “off”–which is a per-user setting. That sounds reasonable to me. Consistency with such a popular webapp as Gmail can’t be a bad thing, right?

(Alejandro Petroff) #13

Yes, please

In my opinion let it belong to the core.

(Michael Brown) #14

… you haven’t seen my browser windows, have you?

I’m lucky, today I can see the favicons.

(Lowell Heddings) #15

Sure, but your browsing habits make no sense. :smile: Why not just pin some tabs… you can enable the favicon counter on those.

(Michael Brown) #16

That’s what I do now - the four on the left are pinned:

(Lowell Heddings) #17

I feel like you need this extension:

(Alejandro Petroff) #18

Of course, favicon counter is more stylish. Title counter looks like from jumping pop-up sites farm…

(FichteFoll) #19

Or maybe this:

Or this, if you use FireFox (which I do):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/

(Jeff Atwood) #20

Provided we make the change specified above

Maybe we should just make this a user pref for now rather than discussing it to death. I don’t think plugins are mature enough to warrant spending a lot of time on making this a plugin right now.