File level backup recovery

(Mbond65) #1

I lost a disk that my discourse instance was running on in my ESXI host yesterday, luckily I have a file backup which I’ve restored to a fresh VM running discourse.

I’m having difficulty bringing the system back online, I’m trying to following this guide to retrieve a backup from the system: Advanced, manual method of manually creating and restoring Discourse backups

However when I run

sudo ./launcher enter app

Docker returns

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: error creating aufs mount to /var/lib/docker/aufs/mnt/de9d11f0fbed92d6c1 7d9e9b518dec3f6f75fe5c6775ce86a2c424fd7ddccb03-init: invalid argument.
See ‘/usr/bin/docker run --help’.
Your Docker installation is not working correctly

Is there anyway to bring a discourse installation back online from a file backup?

Unfortunately I didn’t use the web interface to create a backup prior to the disk failure.

Thanks

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

Do a search here for “install aufs”. You just need to install it.

(Kane York) #3

I think that error message means he is running AUFS, but something’s wrong with it…

(Mbond65) #4

Thank you for your replies.

My site is now back online. :smiley:

For anyone who encounters a similar situation in the future I suggest setting up a new Discourse instance and then restoring /var/discourse/shared/standalone from your backup (with overwrite checked) to your new instance, you will then need to rebuild your app - your site should then be in the state it was when you took the backup.