Finding where I left off

(R. Barre) #1

I see in other threads that the developers have a strong aversion to a “Mark All As Read” feature. So let me describe what I’m trying to do, and perhaps someone can offer a solution.

I go on a forum and read some of the posts. I don’t mark a thread to be followed, as there are days when I’m interested in one group of threads, and other days when I’m interested in others. I just look at the latest posts and see which ones interest me on that day.

The following day I log into that forum again to see if there are any posts of interest since the last time I looked. I’d like to be able to quickly see where I left off. Instead, I have to remember what time of day it was when I logged off, and figure out how many hours that was. Then I go through the threads to see which ones are marked with a smaller number of hours.

It’s sort of cumbersome. Other forums have solved this problem simply by allowing me to mark all posts as read when I leave, so they don’t show up tomorrow. Remember, I’m less interested in “threads” than “posts”. I get that we’ll never had “Mark all as read” here, but can there be something else that does the same thing? Something simply to show me where I left off?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

The feature does exist.

• Look for Dismiss New button on the new tab

• Look for Dismiss Posts and Dismiss Topics buttons on the unread tab.

(R. Barre) #3

Thanks - for this to work, should I be in Regular mode? Tracking mode? Does it matter?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

You should check out your user preferences. You probably want “track as soon as I enter the topic” set, but it’s really up to you and the particulars of how you want things to work.

(R. Barre) #5

Sorry, maybe I’m thick, but “New” shows me new topics. I’m just looking for all new POSTS since I last logged in. Is there any way to do this?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Only topics you are tracking will track new post counts for you.

See the “tracking” field of your user preferences for more information:

You can also set this at the category level:

(R. Barre) #7

Again - sorry for not getting it - but I believe this means I cannot do what I want to do. Which is simply to log and see only those posts that are new since the last time I logged in.

Is there NO way to do this without having to track each topic? Can’t I just log in and see all the new posts? I could be wrong, but I feel like every forum I’ve ever been on has had that capacity. Is there a reason not to offer it now? It’s SO much easier.

(Mittineague) #8

Yes, It’s called “Latest”, the default “home” page here at meta.

(Dave McClure) #9

By default posts are considered new only if they were created in the last two days. You can change that preference to consider them new if you haven’t opened them yet at all.

If you do that, and make the change suggested by Jeff for tracking topics immediately, it should be pretty much what you want, I think.

(R. Barre) #10

Thanks for the reply - unless I misunderstood, I thought “tracking topics automatically” required me to manually open each one. Is there some way to track the topics without having to do all that?

(Dave McClure) #11

You can set each category to be tracked automatically I think… Never tried it myself.

But the ‘new’ preference I mentioned will at least keep things showing as new until you open them.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

You will need to set every category to tracked.

We find that very few users want to be presented with the overwhelming burden of reading every single new post on every single visit – and the busier the discussion, the more true that is.

(R. Barre) #13

Alas.

This was always a feature I enjoyed on other forums. Is there any reason not to offer it?

(system) #15

(Jeff Atwood) #16

This ended up coming up enough to add a feature for it. Look for the “last visit” line in the topic lists: