First impressions of Discourse UX from a designer

(Astralis Lux) #1

I’m looking for a new forum to use after many years using the old-school forums that are out there.

I’ve looked at nodeBB and mvcforum, among others (very cool minimal designs). Then I decided to look at Discourse and I must be honest: the design seems dated and clunky despite it being one of the first “next generation” forums.

It’s awkward to find my way around. For example, I’m not sure how to make it back to the “home”. And these pop-ups (upon pop-ups) are really annoying. The mystery links with the tiny drop-downs are also confusing.

And the topics with the bottom section that are packed full of icons and other links – well, I don’t know what that is for yet.

These are just my first thoughts and I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it and might even love it, but as a designer, I hope these first impressions are useful.

What do you think about discourse-minimal/screenshots at master · karissa/discourse-minimal · GitHub ?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Have you tried the back button in your browser? Also the logo at top left, which is a very standard web convention.

What are you referring to? Can you provide a cropped screenshot? Just paste it in.

Again, no idea what you’re talking about? Perhaps an annotated screenshot?

(Sam Saffron) #4

what popups are you talking about?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

That one I understood. The new user education panel, and the “your topic is similar to…” panel.

Do you have any positive remarks about the ui and the ux? From experience in observing, it is best to offer positive feedback as much as critical feedback. It’s not to “pad the walls” of your first impressions but to at least show your feedback is objective and well-intended.

As the developers have already mentioned, it is best to be concise as best you are able; screenshots will speak clearly for you. Especially if some of your critical points relate to something that is not intended and should be fixed asap. A screenshot will clear any and all problems with communication that attempts to describe the issue.

But thank you for stepping forward and taking the time to write out your first experience.