First time Discourse'er

(Thom) #1

Hi all,

So this is my first time using Discourse. It’s a bit more work compared to other solutions I’ve used in the past but overall i very much like it.

So I have a few questions regarding the UX layouts.

CodeAcademy and Dictio.id

These sites use a Banner at the top with an image. Is this easily achieved? I had a quick look through here and couldn’t see options for it nor plugins.

Secondly regarding Dictio.id - it uses a split view of latest and categories - the overall look is very similar to Code Academy but has the latest posts appear on the right? How is this achieved?

Many thanks,

(Daniela) #2

See here Branding - Custom brand header with logo, navigation and icons

Look in your admin panel under Setting and search for desktop category page style

(Thom) #3

Thanks for replying. Thank you. Do you also know how I can change the background / border of the cat bar to extend across the whole page, just like on Smart Things?

(Daniela) #4

You need to add in your CSS (admin panel > customize > themes > desktop > CSS)

.list-controls {
    background-color: #242829;
    padding-top: 20px;
}

and

.list-controls .container {
    padding: 0 15px;
}

BTW see here to learn how find elements to change Discourse default Font color (waiting for @jomaxro’s how-to-guide :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #5

I’ve got another #howto I’ve been working on I need to finish first, work has just been taking up so much time lately. Even with two weeks off I have so much backlogged personal stuff it’s been difficult to find the time to sit and get them done.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If you feel like this is a frequently asked question, do we have a #howto for this?