First time login when local logins are disabled is confusing

(Tom Spilman) #1

The first time login to the site things are a bit confusing…

It doesn’t suggest that you can even create a new account from here. A simple string like “Select your preferred service to login or create a new account.” would make things a bit clearer IMO.

Disable "Sign Up" button when local logins are disabled
(Jeff Atwood) #2

So you have disabled local logins? Here’s what it looks like on try.discourse.org

(Tom Spilman) #3

Yes… I did. Seemed like it was safer to just not support local logins. Is that not an expected use case?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Sure, but I don’t really see a problem with the dialog as pictured. Let’s read it:

(Tom Spilman) #5

Sure… this is totally a nit pick and i see your point.

Still “Log in” still doesn’t make me think “Create account”. I think it is pretty much ingrained in all our heads that the first thing you do when visiting a new site is create an account. If these buttons are dual purpose something simple to call that out wouldn’t hurt.

(MrModz) #6

how about “join”…

(Kane York) #7

Do you have any evidence, concrete or anecdotal, that it has actually turned away or confused people wanting to join your forum?
(An example of anecdotal evidence would be someone who was confused and sent you an email, or figured out to ‘click your favorite giant button’ then made a post about it.)

(Kamal Patel) #8

Although it doesn’t seem confusing to me, I can picture someone thinking that only an EXISTING user can login using those buttons. Who that someone is, I’m not sure…

(Jeff Atwood) #9

One easy way to fix this is to add “or Create a New Account” to the copy in this particular case, when local logins are disabled:

(Bcguy) #10

I’ve had probably 2 or 3 users email me with questions on how to create an account in our discourse forums - this is out of 500+ users who have logged in so far. Its not huge - but I think it can be improved and the suggestions here are moving in the right direction.

(Johan Jatko) #11

What about “Log In using one of these services”?
“Create a New Account” in that context seems off, somehow… =D

(Tom Spilman) #12

It was completely based on my personal opinion and first impression on seeing it. No one has access to the site yet, so I have no user complains to speak of.

(Tom Spilman) #13

That seems simple and reasonable to me.

(Kamal Patel) #14

Technically, it’s “Login and/or Create a New Account”, since creating a new account also logs you in simultaneously. Unfortunately the public is slow to adopt boolean operators.

(j/k, adding “or create a new account” is perfect)

(Tom Spilman) #15

Another more radical idea… go with something more like “authenticate” and not “login”… something that breaks the old mental pattern of “Create Account” -> “Login”.

(Michael Brown) #16

Eschew hyperverbosity: “Log In or Create Account…”

(Kamal Patel) #17

Although…the benefit of the extra “a” may be high for less technical sorts that would get confused with the simple “login” text.

(Michael Brown) #18

Boy, I thought I was nitpicky :smile:

“Log In with Google”

“Create Account with Google”

Regarding someone less technical getting confused by “Create Account”… I disbelieve.

(Kane York) #19

I moved a post to a new topic: Help, I disabled local logins and can’t get back

(Kane York) #20