Font size theme

css

(Blu McCormick) #1

Morning guys,

I see discussion about a font size theme. Is there one? I can’t find it if there is. My selection of the correct keywords in searches stinks lately.

Absent that, what are the best up to date topics for adding code to change the font size?

Am I understand this right? You can change the base code and all fonts get changed in proportion to the base font size or . . . if you want to change font size for a particular area, you would add code specific for that area?

(Jeff Wong) #2

Yep, you’re correct - There was a pretty considerable effort to normalize fonts to make this possible:

Changing font sizes per area might be more tricky – doable, but the purpose of the refactor was to be able to define a standard size, and have everything scale with that like you said.

(Blu McCormick) #3

Just what I need. Thanks. I am looking to see what changing the base code would do and getting feedback from older members of our group for whom font size can be a deal breaker. Course you can enlarge your resolution in browser settings but that is crazy-making for some of us citizens. If I enlarge it would be one level larger than the default. I wanted to see if we could do that and what that would look like. I like how there is a uniform change across the board as otherwise it would be a nightmare.

(Blu McCormick) #4

It’s kinda like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Which porridge, bed, or font-size do we like? :laughing:

You know, for sure font size 16 as the base size for us would be my pick . . . and I might be open to 17, although anything beyond that would be silly, I think.

(Joe) #5

Kris did an amazing job to make this easily customizable!

I think making it a user based preference would work best.

If you look at the hamburger menu here on Meta you’ll notice that there’s an option for larger fonts.

This can be accomplished by setting up a couple of things:

1- You need to install the hamburger theme selector which you can find here:

2- You need to add the hamburger menu theme selector as a componenet to your current active theme. more info on that can be found here:

3- create a theme and add the desired font size in there using

html {
    font-size: 14px
}

14px is the default but you can change that to the desired size, here are a few examples:

15px:

16px:

17px:

Once you decide what font-size works best for your use case, you can then make a copy of your current theme and add the font-size modification theme as a component of the copies of your theme.

I am very happy to help here, so if you run into any issues / if something is not clear, let me know.

Font size - can members edit this?
(Blu McCormick) #6

Thank you, Joe. That is PERFECT for our community. Makes it an easier decision as to default font size with that option available to members with a little tweaking on my part.