Forum has suddenly stopped working

(AstonJ) #1

Just getting a blank page. At first I thought it might have been docker (as rebooting docker brings it back for one page but no subsequent pages), however the other discourse forum on the same server is working fine.

Could this be related to the server using devicemapper? The forum has got quite busy lately. (I was going to upgrade to a new server later this year and use overlayFS/centos). As such, I can’t ./launcher rebuild app which says If you wish to continue anyway using your existing unsupported storage driver, read the source code of launcher and figure out how to bypass this check.

Any advice on how to proceed? Should I rebuild with devicemapper as it is just to try and get the forum back up and then commission a new server with OverlayFS and then move to that? Or is there anything else I could try?

(Sam Saffron) #2

AUFS is the only storage engine we trust, RedHat love getting super upset when you tell them that device mapper is buggy, but each time we tried after they said it works… surprise, it did not work.

Overlay has existing open issues and is also risky.

So, I guess, I stand behind the comment of If you wish to continue anyway using your existing unsupported storage driver, read the source code of launcher and figure out how to bypass this check.. If you are entering a world of pain, reading a few lines of bash is the least of your problems :star_struck:

My recommendation for you is just to get Ubuntu + AUFS going, its what 99% of the installs use.

(AstonJ) #3

Could this be a different issue Sam? Is there anyway to ascertain whether it is indeed Devicemapper causing the issue?

If I rebuild with devicemapper anyway, will it ‘break’ anything in terms of moving to AUFS later (i.e. will I need to use an older backup before this rebuild)?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Nah you can have a bunch of storage engines installed without any trouble, we keep critical data outside of the storage engine in the host filesystem.

I recommend you do a search here for devicemapper to see the issues people faced in the past.