Forum-wide Category Selection for Digest Email?

I’m trying to figure out how to ‘mute’ a category so that it’s not included in our digest emails.

We offer customer support in our forums and threads can get very long — those threads then in turn sweep our /top list, from which I understand digest emails are generated.

Is there a setting so that a given category is not included in the digest summary emails? I’m referring, here, to the emails sent to users who have not visited or been active in X amount of time — not regular email notifications (those are fine).

Thanks for any help!

How to exclude some categories from the digest
(Tobias Eigen) #2

This is related to this topic:

Yeah, related to the below, too, more or less — it sounds like this isn’t implemented yet without your own code. Is there a workflow for extending a module or something?

We just got back on the main development fork after an ill-advised branch awhile back, and I don’t want to do that again.

(Cypriend) #4

I have the same request.
I would like to hide categories in the digest email, how is that possible without forking the entire project ?
Thank you

(Sam Saffron) #5

Simplest would be a pr that adds an Api way or site setting for this, can you expand on the exact use case here?

(Cypriend) #6

Thank you for reply,

I don’t know what would be better between a site settings or a category setting option (category > edit > settings).
The first solution would allow to hide/mute multiple categories on the digest email at once.

The use case is the follow :

• One category (i.e troubleshooting) has a lot of activity but it’s mostly 1:1 conversations with admins. Topics from this category are always at the top of the digest email at the cost of other topics in more interesting categories (tips, projects…).
  • Website owner would like to draw more attention to topics in other categories and mute {1,+} category so it doesn’t appear in the digest anymore
  • He (un)check a box in the category settings or list all categories to by muted in site settings

(Sam Saffron) #7

So it seems you are asking for a “digest priority” for categories. That way you can ensure users always get particular categories in particular orders.

I think its a legit request, for example our “Blog” category here really belongs at the top, if there are new topics in it regardless of how many likes it gets.

@codinghorror what are your thoughts on this?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

A bunch of stuff like “do not show this category on the homepage” needs to be captured in the edit dialog for the category.

(Cypriend) #9

Thank you @sam Do you know if this request has been turned into a Feature issue on github ? I couldn’t find it on 1.4 branches.
Thank you,
C

(Sam Saffron) #10

we do not use Github for features or issues, we use this site. We have topic tracking 1.4 features and 1.5 features.

(Cypriend) #11

Hello, sorry for the late answer.

This topic is in /support so I am not sure if this admin feature (“Do not show this category on digest emails”) is being implemented or if I need to create a new RFC topic in /feature. In other words, what are the next steps to make this happen.
I have read the 1.4 and 1.5 topic but I haven’t find a similar feature.

Thank you for your help,
C

(Ted Strauss) #12

I think my question is related to this topic.

In my Discourse we’re making use of secure categories accessible to user groups, in order to create information silos within a research community. As such, the email digest should only include topics that the recipient user has access to. My understanding is that currently the digest email does not consider user permissions. Is that right? Would it make sense to add this requirement to this issue, or should I start a separate thread about this?

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Incorrect, the digest mail does consider user permissions, otherwise it would be a massive security hole…

(This makes sense, consider if I started a staff topic titled “Trudat is a huge jerk” – obviously we don’t want that mailed to trudat.)

(I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such a topic ;))

(Ted Strauss) #14

Ouch! Well, like Trump I’ll take any attention I can get, so bash away.

So that means that the list of top topics to include in the digest email is generated for each user, and uses number of views to sort items in the digest?

(Jeff Atwood) #15

No, it just means that users will only be able to see topics they have visibility to in digest emails, just like on the main site.

(Ted Strauss) #16

So if the top 5 topics happened to be in a restricted category, some users’ digest could be empty?

(Jeff Atwood) #17

No, it would pick the top 5 topics they have visibility to. For that user those secured topics, the ones they don’t have access to, simply don’t exist.

(Ted Strauss) #18

Got it.

So good :allthethings:

(Noel McHugh) #19

I’m also trying to find status of this feature as we’d love to start using it. Any links to feature status or the 1.4 or 1.5 feature topic would be appreciated

This is a related topic https://meta.discourse.org/t/formatting-the-email-digest/

The whole idea of categories is to segregate by large topic areas. I think it would be natural for users to have more interest in some categories than others.

I’d like to see a interest/access setting by category (and topic) so the user can tune the signal-to-noise ratio of the site according to their interests.

So having per category setting of:

0- Hide - Hide category from online access (same as no permission to
category but user controlled)

1-No notification - not included in digest

2-New topic notification - only new topics from the category
in the digest (suppresses topic when its just a continuation of the
topic introduced earlier)

3- Notable replies - include only replies with lots of likes in the digest

4 - All replies in digest

5 - All replies via individual emails

All topics within the category would default to the category’s setting, but be overridable on the topic level.