Full height, slide out hamburger menu

I’ll probably get beaten for this, but what if we actually did have the hamburger menu on the left?

• It’d be closer to all the other “index” shortcuts, i.e. home-button, category-button and tag-button.
  • It makes two menus immediately available via swipe.
  • Left-to-right is hamburger
  • Right-to-left is notifications or profile or both, depending on where we land on that.

And maybe on mobile, the hamburger menu could show the Topic title and category as well.

[quote=“mcwumbly, post:18, topic:29789”]
As for combining notifications and the user menu… I’m not sure. There aren’t a ton of items in the user menu right now, sure… but do I really want to see them underneath my notifications everytime I click to review where I’ve been liked or mentioned?
[/quote]With a clear separation as exemplified in @rewphus’ mockup, I don’t think visual noise would be a major factor.

On the other hand, one less icon for the brain to see, understand and memorise is a pretty big deal. Also the leftover space in the header means more room for experiments like a sticky page counter or the addition of another icon for forums with (currently hypothetical) Chat enabled.

I’m all for it.

7 Likes