Fullscreen composer for mobile

(Sam Saffron) #1

We plan to add a fullscreen composer for mobile akin to:

Everything is visibility none except for 5 or so elements, no borders etc

This resolves the issues around having an INPUT in a position fixed panel. As it stands our mobile composer is cramped and once keyboard is open positioning is bonkers. (try typing a reply and scrolling around)

Mobile editor emoji is drawn off-screen
(Alan Tan) #2

How about throwing the emoji selector below the composer?

(Régis Hanol) #3

I especially like the “Preview” link on the top.

(Sam Saffron) #4

All phones already have a built in emoji selector we should simply support it :slight_smile:

(Alan Tan) #5

I have crappy emojis on my Xiaomi phone :grinning::joy_cat::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Michael Downey) #6

This full-screen composer stuff is going to make it impossible to do stuff like putting multiple quotes in a reply:

(Sam Saffron) #7

not following at all, highlight quote continues to work exactly as it always did.

(Michael Downey) #8

Exactly how can I insert a quote into the editor if it’s taking up the full screen? Right now I put my cursor where I want the quote to appear, like here:

And then scroll up the page, highlight the text, then click “quote reply”. If the editor is taking up the full screen, how would this work?

(Sam Saffron) #9

You collapse the editor, quote a second thing … and so on. When you collapse the editor we remember where the cursor is.

Keep in mind this is only for mobile

Right now you got to first collapse the keyboard anyway.

(Michael Downey) #10

OK, that sounds reasonable. It wasn’t clear from the SE mockups etc. that this would still be possible. :smile:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #11

Will this apply to search as well?

That doesn’t seem to work so reliably now on latest Android and Chrome. My quotes always get put at the end of what I am composing. Hopefully the full screen composer is more reliable in this respect.

Given that it is a full screen composer, would there be a chance of having a slide out tool tray for the edit controls that are available on desktop (full quote, bold, italic, etc.)?

(ginger man) #13

Is this thing still on the road map ? Its badly needed.

Also the existing mobile composer for New posts is extremely small and fixed(text area).

When I am replying to a post, the composer is wider and usable. I am using android

(Sam Saffron) #14

Hmmm, what phone are you using?

(ginger man) #15

As I mentioned, reply mode is much better and similar to your screenshot. The problem is in the new posts mode.

I use android 6.0

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Can you add a screenshot?

(ginger man) #18

(Jeff Atwood) #19

Hmm I wonder why you are getting the toolbar by default. Also cancel should not be wrapping to next line.

(ginger man) #21

Even after hiding the toolbar, the text area height is small and not really useful.

I just observed, cancel is not wrapping in new line in the reply mode

(Sam Saffron) #22

going to change it so we always hide toolbar based on height, @gingerman try clicking triple line to hide toolbar (it will remember)