German translation

(Gerhard Schlager) #1

The German translation is nearly finished. I’ve contributed a bunch of translations lately and started reviewing the existing ones. Unfortunately the larger ones (like FAQ, TOS) are still untranslated. I don’t think I can handle that since I’m not a professional translator. I hope someone else can. A few others are also not translated yet since I couldn’t find them on the UI, so I wasn’t sure in which context they are used. Maybe someone else has more luck.

Anyway, there are a few things I’d like to discuss since it’s not always clear how we should translate certain things:

• community: Should it be Gemeinschaft or Community. I favor Community and it’s even mentioned in Duden. :wink: It just has a nicer ring to it.
  • staff: For lack of a better word it’s currently translated as Mitarbeiter. Usually those users are not really Mitarbeiter (employees), so it somehow seems wrong to me. However, I just can’t figure out a better translation.
  • account: Currently there are three different translations used: Konto, Nutzerkonto and Account. Which one should it be?
  • Currently the translation uses informal language which is quite fine with me. What’s not clear to me is if we should use Du / Dein or du / dein. I prefer the latter one. Somehow it doesn’t sound as informal as the former one. It feels more like the English you

What’re your thoughts on those points?

German "About, FAQ, TOS, Privacy"
German translation mixes "Du" and "du"
(Jens Maier) #2
  • community:
    Tough one. I guess the english word has taken on a different meaning than any of the available literal translations can express, so leaving it untranslated might be the only choice. Still, yet another anglicism…

• staff:
    Not all Mitarbeiter have a formal employment contract, so the back-translation employees isn’t quite right. For instance, public charities have volunteers, which would translate to gemeinnützige Vereine and ehrenamtliche Mitarbeiter, respectively.

• account:
    Account should go. Nutzerkonto and Konto are synonyms, and I’m not sure if there’s anything to be gained from forcing a global choice between either of them. It might be beneficial to use Nutherkonto for some early explanations since it is a bit more precise.

• Du/du:
    According to Duden, capitalization is encouraged whenever the author personally knows the addressee. Following this logic, it should depend on the context, i.e. “Klicke hier um Dein Konto zu löschen” vs. “Klicke hier um dich zu registrieren”.
    Yeeeah, no. Let’s just go with small caps.

By the way, the big problem with the FAQ and TOS is not the translation itself but the legal character these things, especially the terms of service, may have. We should consider writing these from scratch. Unfortunately, it’s really damn hard to write a proper Datenschutzerklärung

(caffeine) #3

First of all, thanks you two for all your contributions to the German translation. I also think this effort to streamline the translation is much needed at the moment.

I fully agree with @elberet on those four points. In addition: I think Community makes more sense in the context of Discourse as Online community seems to be a term on its own. The German Wikipedia says on the topic:

Eine Online-Community (englisch für Internet-Gemeinschaft) ist eine organisierte Gruppe von Menschen, die im Internet miteinander kommunizieren und teilweise im virtuellen Raum interagieren. Auf der technischen Grundlage eines sozialen Mediums (Social Media), das als Plattform zum wechselseitigen Austausch von Meinungen, Erfahrungen und Informationen eingesetzt wird, ergibt sich ein abgrenzbares soziales Netzwerk von Nutzern mit von ihnen erzeugten Inhalten (englisch user-generated content).

(Gerhard Schlager) #4

Yeah, I’m no expert on those things either. The TOS are based on the WordPress Terms of Service, which, AFAIK, have no German translation as well. I suggest we keep the English version of the TOS (and maybe the Privacy Policy as well) until someone with enough knowledge or money for a proper translation shows up. The FAQ had already a translation, so it just needs to be put in the server.yml.

(Jens Maier) #5

Oh, look what Google found: Datenschutz-Muster Generator für Webseiten, Blogs und Social Media - Datenschutz-Generator.deDatenschutz-Generator.de

Might make for a suitable starting point…

(Gerhard Schlager) #6

A few more terms that need clarification:

• Tracked: Should it be Verfolgt or Mitverfolgt? The other words currently used in this context are: Watched / Beobachted and Muted / Stummgeschaltet.
  • Trust Level: It’s currently translated as Vertrauensstufe - a term I’m not completely happy with. Should we use something else like Erfahrungsstufe? The trust levels are currently translated as: Neuling, Stammgast, Anführer and Ältester
  • Likes (noun): Likes seems to be a widely used word in German nowadays. Should we use it or do it like Facebook and translate it with „Gefällt mir“-Angaben? Personally I prefer Likes and I guess we’ll have problems with available screen space with the longer translation.
  • like, liked: Do we use gefällt in it’s various forms or should we use liken and gelikt. :wink:
  • pin (noun and verb): Currently it’s translated as Pin and pinnen in all its various forms like anpinnen and angepinnt which sounds colloquial to me. Should we leave it that way? The only other translation I could come up with was anheften, but I don’t know a corresponding word for un-pin

(Jens Maier) #7

I was just about to complain about that glossary entry for “liked” -> “gelikt”… :grin:

• tracked: I don’t have a preference. By which I mean this can be decided on a case by case basis. A button label might read “Mitverfolgen” while a phrase might say “Du verfolgst dieses Thema”.

• trust level: Erfahrungsstufe sounds to much like participating in the forum is a game. Gamification is nice and all, but the point of this feature is to be entrusted with potentially dangerous (or at least mildly annoying if misused) features.

• pin: More liberal translations would be Thema fixieren, Fixierung entfernen, fixiert and so on.

• likes, like liked:

Seriously. Nope. Not even a little. While “ein Like” is barely acceptable, “Du und 2 andere liken das” and ANYTHING containing “gelikt” is just…

I’d rather have “Gefällt mir”, quotes and all. Also Dir gefällt das and Du hast ein “Gefällt mir” gegeben.

(Gerhard Schlager) #8

Yeah, I know. I already regret that I’ve put that in there. I guess I was somehow influenced by some of the existing translations. :wink:

Looks like we are on the same page. :smiley:

(caffeine) #9

The best I can come up with is abstecken which I find very uncommon in this context. The translation of PHPBB circumvents this problem by translating ‘make topic sticky’ with ‘In wichtiges Thema ändern’ btw.

(Joe Seyfried) #10

Apologies for digging this one up, but: This one is wrong - is the string in question used elsewhere in Discourse?

I started a comment on Transifex already, but the string is already approved (client.en.yml, #984). Gerhard, you changed the original „Dieser Monat“ to „Dieses Monat“, so you probably ran into the string on another occasion?

(Gerhard Schlager) #11

No worries. When you find errors in the already reviewed strings don’t hesitate to post them here or write a comment on Transifex and mention my name.

I’m not sure why I changed that string. I’ve done a quick search and it isn’t used anywhere else. I’ve already corrected it in Transifex.

(Gerhard Schlager) #12

“PM” has been replaced by “Msg” recently. How should we translate those abbreviations of “message”? I’ve been trying to come up with a recognizable German abbreviation, but I couldn’t find one.
So, I’m inclined to use the unabbreviated “Nachricht” instead. Any objections or suggestions?

One more thing regarding pluralized strings: I noticed that some translations use the number 1 (e.g. “Konnte 1 Benutzer nicht ablehnen.”) and some use ein/eine (e.g. “Eine Person hat das als Unangemessen gemeldet”). Is there some kind of rule that I’m not aware of? Or should this be changed to always use numbers or always use the textual representation of the numbers?

(Jens Maier) #13

Replies vs. response

I would prefer a more liberal translation:

• replies (everything you’ve posted) → Beiträge
  • responses (to your posts) → Antworten

PM and Message

Oh, my hate knows no bounds. I think “Nachricht” is the only feasible solution, even tho it is a broader term than the English “message”. Or… we could pretend that German’s a special snowflake and go with “Direktnachricht”.

Numbers

I seem to recall that, at least in prose, all numbers between and including zero and twelve should be spelled out. Aesthetically, I much prefer “ein/e/en” over “1”, and I would not hesitate to be more contextual and translate “really delete 1 user” with “Diesen Benutzer wirklich löschen”…

(Gerhard Schlager) #14

Makes sense, but only in the context of the user. So, in the user profile and the user statistics replies / responses would be Beiträge / Antworten and everywhere else (e.g. topic list) replies would be Antworten.

I like that. I seem to recall Twitter is also using the term Direktnachricht (DN).

According to Duden that’s not the case anymore. :wink:
Anyway, I’m also in favor of spelled out numbers.

(Ulrich Maasmeier) #15

I´d say Benutzerkonto.

(Nate D.) #16

Maybe someone can fix this little mistake. In the invitation email is the letter t missing:

Falls du interessiert bis, klicke auf den nachfolgenden Link:

Sorry, I don’t dig Transifex at the moment…

(Florian Bender) #17

Any idea who is reviewing the changes and how long reviewing takes? Are the changes upstreamed to the repo automatically? I submitted a few strings and would like to have them included in the next release (either 1.4.3 or 1.5). I find the Transifex interface to be highly confusing and cannot find any activity sheet or stats or something like that …

(Felix Freiberger) #18

You can find the list in the easy to use Transifex interface :smiley:

Reviewing is not needed for the strings to be included, reviewing merely locks a translation such that no “normal” translator can change it anymore.

The changes are manually integrated every few days by @techAPJ like so.

(Florian Bender) #19

Thanks, good to know!

While reporting this bug

I noticed that in the categories box the “No matches found” is not translated.

Is this the right place to report a missing translation?