Get a list of all emails and/or sync with MailChimp?

(Travis) #1

Is there a way I can get a list of all user email addresses or easily sync the userbase with MailChimp? I have a product announcement I would like to send a specialized mailing for.

(Michael Downey) #2

FWIW, I believe this type of scenario might not be allowed by both MailChimp rules and CAN-SPAM laws in the United States. IANAL, but unless your users specifically authorized non-transactional (i.e. password reset, notifications, etc.) marketing e-mails from you or your organization when signing up for their Discourse account, you’d need to specifically and additionally get their permission to add them to a list like that.

References:

Email Newsletter For Forum Members
(Tobias Eigen) #3

@awesomerobot came up with a good solution, I think, to this issue:

Watching a Category, perhaps the best kind of mailing list mode?
(Jeff Atwood) #4

One compromise that might help @Vocino is to post a topic asking about this on their Discourse and see if the users are OK with it.

(Travis) #5

Problem is, I can’t even notify the users of a change in the terms of service or privacy policy since I can’t email them. Quite the issue.

I could certainly post a topic but I’m assuming everyone would need to opt in again. That’s another conversion that would only be available to active users.

One idea might be to place additional content inside the digests. If I could easily add to the content above the digest, that would serve my purpose.

(Dmitry Demenchuk) #6

I think it’s totally legal to populate MailChimp’s database on registration. It’s illegal to spam these people later on, but it’s up to an owner.