Getting repeat topic reply notifications from the same user

(Daniel Marquard) #1

Been having this strange issue on my account on my website (running 1.7.0.beta2 +62) where I seem to randomly get new notifications for the same old posts of just one other user. I get notifications for this user’s old replies to my topics every day or so, despite clicking them to read the posts every time. No one else has reported this, so I don’t know if I’m the only affected user.

I couldn’t really find anything like this when I searched. Any idea how I could troubleshoot this? Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Has this user been editing their posts? I noticed in some cases, edits to older posts will trigger new notifications.

(Mittineague) #3

Same here. Particularly when the edited post is the last in the topic.

The edit “bump” of older posts not only affects activity datetime, but also triggers a Notification,

But it isn’t consistent, I haven’t pinned it down, but it seems how old “older” is has something to do with it too.

(Daniel Marquard) #4

I checked that. These posts were unedited.

(Gerhard Schlager) #5

I’ve seen it too. But if I remember correctly only with push notifications on Android and edits within the editing_grace_period.

(Mittineague) #6

Hmmm, sounds like this is going to be a tough nut to crack.

We have different "if I recall correctly"s and it happens randomly.

If you can determine what is involved / reproduce it that should help narrow things down.

(Daniel Marquard) #7

Well, I can tell you that it’s the same posts by the same user. None of these three were edited.

For me, these notifications began repeating immediately after they were posted.

(Mittineague) #8

Thanks, are these all true ?

• You are D3, the other member is Polygonine, you are both Admins.
  • This only happens with Polygonine’s posts in the Overwatch category where he has replied to or quoted one of your posts.
  • The Overwatch category is not Uncategorized repurposed.
  • You have no plugins installed other than what ships with Discourse.

(Daniel Marquard) #9

Correct, the only admins.

All three examples were from posts within the Overwatch category, however this post was not a reply to me.

Correct. The original Uncategorized category still exists, but is unused.

I do use some plugins.

(Daniel Marquard) #10

By the way, my other admin told me tonight that he is frequently being notified of one of my posts.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

I suspect plugins at this point since we have no other reports of this. Can you repro it on try.discourse.org?

(Daniel Marquard) #12

Good to know. If you’re getting no other reports, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a plugin. Just wanted to be sure it wasn’t a problem with the platform. When I’m able, I’ll rebuild without the plugins we don’t need and see what happens. Thanks!