Global pinned topics

(Charles Walter) #1

Not sure if I’m missing something. I tried pinning a topic globally, but I don’t see it appear at the top of any other categories.

Does the topic need to live in a particular category for it to appear as pinned globally?

Looking forward to seeing how it works. Does it take you to the topic within the category in which it was posted?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Pinned globally stuff show up in the top of latest … can you post some screenshots of what you did and what you expected ?

Is it possible to set a topic under many categories?
(Charles Walter) #3

Oh, I was expecting I would see the post at the top of the list of each
category.

I guess that’s what the global banner is for, but then we can’t really
drive the audience to engage on a topic page.

The only workaround I can think of is to create a post and add it to the
top HTML for desktop and mobile views.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Sure you can, just link to the topic from the banner text. Banners should contain links (maybe even a few links) to more detail, which I describe at Building a Discourse Community

(Lisa Wess) #5

Just ran into this, also expected the globally pinned post at the top of every category…

(Jeff Atwood) #6

To achieve what you want to achieve (particularly since your homepage is categories, not latest) use a banner topic.

(Lisa Wess) #7

We use bannering - and yes, it is a solution. However, there is some unexpected behavior (for at least a few of us) with this feature - some in-context documentation right in the UI would go a long way to helping.

(Dylan Hunt) #8

Found this topic via Google with same expectations – this is not what was expected from this feature. Cool feature, but very different from a global sticky, for example a rules thread. Banner seems more like promos/featured rather than something boring like rules.