Gmail remembers email addresses of topic threads, offers as autocomplete

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Any way to prevent notifications for post merges, moves?:

I don’t know if there is any way to resolve this but would be interested in knowing what others have done beyond training. Basically what is happening is that gmail is remembering discourse email addresses, which then are provided as autocomplete options the next time users write an email destined for the forum. Their post then gets added to the existing topic instead of a new topic. It’s happened a few times already.

Worse, it is also remembering discourse email address for users. So if you are not paying attention you can find yourself sending an email to discourse instead of to the person directly.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I suspect this only happens if you’ve replied to that “person” before, where the person is a reply-to address mapping to a Discourse autoreply address.

So the act of replying implicitly adds that “person” to your address book? I’d have to test it and see if that’s what Gmail does.

Hmm, when I reply to a notification from here, it replies to Discourse Meta not “Sam Saffron”:

I wonder why you are seeing usernames there. Even if I initiate a reply to what I know is a direct reply (rather than a post in the topic) I don’t get a username there.

Are these PMs or some other type of post?

(Tobias Eigen) #3

Yes this is what’s happening. My gmail contacts are filling up with these discourse+ email addys.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

See my edited response. I can’t duplicate this… at least not for typical email notifications, perhaps “mailing list mode” works differently?

To clarify here’s what I see

Reply-To: Discourse Meta <reply+4e0f4f1780b2320eb23f5c100@discourse.org>

That is Sam directly replying to me, note that I am not replying back to him but to Discourse Meta there.

edit: I can confirm that Gmail does add every reply-to person as a “Contact” here:

So it’s important that the reply-to be the site, not the user…

Email notifications with incorrect senders