Go to reply number

(Roland Dooley) #1

In a long thread it would be great to be able to go to a specific post ie post 52 of 300. If you could click on the “X of 300” and type in a number and have it take you to that post that’d be great. thanks for an amazing piece of software!

(Sam Saffron) #2

What is your exact use case, how do you know you need to go to post 52 ? Why do you want to go to post 52?

We talked in the past about adding a “timeline” style navigation in the “about topic” post, it covers the “catch up with what happened in Jan” use case.

(Simon) #3

I could imagine it would be useful to get quickly to some position in the thread, even if you don’t actually want to go to post 52 in particular… maybe you just know that the post you are looking for was somewhere around that part of a thread.

Maybe some “slider” would be enough, just to select a reading position between first and last post, just like scrollbars allow you to quickly jump to a distant location in a document by clicking it. This way, you don’t have to think about numbers.

(Roland Dooley) #4

it was more of an instinctual thing…
I am used to being able to do that in pdfs and other documents.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

We could make it so that clicking the progress bar allows you to type in a post number, the press enter to arbitrarily jump to it.

I just wonder how many people would really do that, or figure out that it is possible… and I am not convinced that jumping to an arbitrary post number is really that useful.

Generally if a post is useful it will be linked, and you can get the deep link to any post by clicking the link icon, or copying out of the browser’s address bar, which updates in real time as you scroll down to reflect the post you are on…

(Jeff Atwood) #6

This is now complete. Click or tap on the progress bar to get more, bigger navigation targets including top, bottom, and go to post.

(Jeff Atwood) #7