Graph API v2.1 Upgrade Notice

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I’ve just received the following from Facebook:

Birmingham.IO has been making recent API calls to Graph API v2.0, which will reach the end of the 2-year deprecation window on Monday, August 8, 2016. Please migrate all calls to v2.1 or higher in order to avoid potential broken experiences.

We recommend using our new Graph API Upgrade Tool to see which of your calls are affected by this change as well as any replacement calls in newer versions. You can also use our changelog to see the full list of changes.

I’ll be honest, I have no idea what any of this means, but I figure it must be something to do with Discourse.

Anyone got any ideas? Thank you.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Possibly Facebook logins @neil?

(| full stack virgin) #3

This is facebook log-ins. got the same as well, especially in the facebook app section notification.

(Nicolas Guibert) #4

This seems stupid to me.

I am a developer. I have looked at my code and the documentations but I still have no idea what calls I am using from API 2.0.

I can’t seem to find any reference to the version in my code.

Also Facebook interface does not want to give me a list of calls because either I don’t have enough trafic, or I have not made any calls to 2.0. Very useful information!! So how do I figure it out mr Facebook? The most likely is that I am not at risk, but I can’t take the risk especially with a deadline in the middle of the holiday month of August (another stupid decision, nothing should be changed in July-August, mr Facebook, think a bit!)

Who can help?

(Neil Lalonde) #5

I’m looking at this now. Looks like Facebook deprecated something omniauth-facebook uses.

(Neil Lalonde) #6

So my conclusion is that nothing needs to be done. The details:

The omniauth-facebook gem makes unversioned calls to facebook’s graph api. Facebook says:

An unversioned call will default to the oldest available version of the API.

So right now the oldest supported version is 2.0, and facebook is sending out emails to people when they detect that it’s used. On Aug 8, facebook auth calls will automatically start using version 2.1.

I created a new facebook app and it defaulted to allow only v2.6 and later api calls.

My other app is old and shows v2.0. It’s too bad we can’t edit that field so unversioned calls automatically use a later version.

Creating a new app is an option, or ignore the emails.

(Alen Siljan) #7

Hi,

I also got an email from Facebook and it says:
“The oldest supported version of the Graph API for xxxxx is v2.0, which will be deprecated on Monday, August 8, 2016. If your app has been making recent API calls against v2.0, please migrate all calls to v2.1 or higher in order to avoid potential broken experiences.”

Also, I have an option in Dashboard (API version upgrades) with option to switch ON/OFF? (See picture)
So, do I need to do something or I can just ignore email?

Thank you

(Neil Lalonde) #8

It sounds like a good idea to choose Yes on that “Upgrade All Calls” option.

(Daniel Hollands) #9

I’ve just set-up Upgrade All Calls to yes. Lets see what happens.

(Alen Siljan) #10

It seems like a ‘good solution’ :slight_smile: but I’m on summer vacation from Friday. Anyway, lets see…

(Daniel Hollands) #11

Well, 8th August has come and gone, and my site still works, so I think we’re in the clear :slight_smile:

(Mike Linksvayer) #12

I just got the same notice for a slightly later version:

… currently has access to Graph API v2.2 which will reach the end of its 2-year lifetime on 27 March, 2017. To ensure a smooth transition, please migrate all calls to Graph API v2.3 or higher.

To check if your app will be affected by this upgrade you can use the Version Upgrade Tool. This will show you which calls, if any, are affected by this change as well as any replacement calls in newer versions. If you do not see any calls, your app may not be affected by this change.

The Version Upgrade Tool says:

Your app hasn’t made enough calls to the Graph API to show any info, or there are no changes for the methods you selected between v2.2 and v2.8

Guess I don’t have to do anything. Not sure why they bothered sending a notice then. :confused:

(ljpp) #13

Same old story, new version numbers:

Graph API v2.5 which will reach the end of its 2-year lifetime on 12 April, 2018. To ensure a smooth transition, please migrate all calls to Graph API v2.6 or higher. Use the API Upgrade Tool to understand exactly how this change will impact your app.