Group seems to have a limit of 201 members

(Kenneth Lowrey) #1

I trying to add about 350 users to a group, however I can’t seem to add more than 201 members. I looked for a setting but didn’t find one. Is there a setting that limits the number of users allowed in a group?

Is there a bug that is limiting the number of users that I can add to a group?

Is the universe just messing with me?

Improved Group Members Management
Category-Specific Moderators, phase 1 RFC
Watch category on bulk invite
(Sam Saffron) #2

Yeah, that UI needs a major redesign to support groups of 200+ users. It does indeed cut off the list cause that textarea would explode.

(Kenneth Lowrey) #3

So it’s a display issue?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Its a UI issue, the UI truncates, the backend actually supports large groups.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is your use case for giant groups?

Adding user to a group on user's admin page would be convenient
(Kenneth Lowrey) #5

We have a pro tier of our program and this pro tier gets access to a pro category. We want this category invisible to non pro tier customers.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Its fair enough, we want to support this, just requires UI refactor. Very busy stabilizing Discourse at the moment.

(Tobias Eigen) #7

+1 I’m interested in this as well and it’s part of the long term plan we have for using discourse to have premium tier members who are in one or multiple categories which then gives them access to private, members only categories.

Maybe this use case could actually be handled using badges and not categories?

(Adam Capriola) #8

This is kind of a pressing issue for me right now – I have a SSO connection with WordPress for my membership site, and I’m using the connection to add paying members to a special Discourse group. The 201 member limit has quickly cropped up on me. (I can’t even add more members via API.)

Is there any way this number could be lifted in the near future? Pretty please? :cake:

(Sam Saffron) #9

The limit is a UI limit, the functionality still work if using an object model.

Open for a patch to change this UI if anyone wants to pick it up.

(Adam Capriola) #10

By that do you mean I should be able to have more than 201 users in a group if I always add/remove them via API?

(Theron Boerner) #11

The website is just an ember.js app talking to the server via the API. Either way, you’re always doing stuff through that. The client can’t really do the validations locally because it would explode if you look at a group that already has 202 members.

(Sam Saffron) #12

Yes, we have 10110 users in trust_level_0 here.

@lightyear if you are looking for a mini project this is up for a fix :slight_smile: though you would need to spec it up first.

(Adam Capriola) #13

I am using API calls outside calls to maintain the users in my group though, I don’t add/remove via the interface at all and it’s still stuck at 201. I see on my trust_level_0 group I have more than 201, but on my created group it only keeps 201. Could this have to do with my group not being a preset?

(Sam Saffron) #14

The UI is truncating at 200.

(Adam Capriola) #15

Err, nevermind, I get it now. I was retrieving my group like this to modify it to it:

https://meta.discourse.org/groups/discourse/members.json

But I see what you mean that this is a UI limit, so I can only grab 201 members that way.

(Benjamin Kampmann) #16

No have no permissions to write in spec :stuck_out_tongue: . But I’ll think about. Probs not this weekend though, best-man-duties …

(Sam Saffron) #17

Awesome! Good luck with that.

Regarding permissions, just write it out and flag it, we will move it into spec.

(Brad Huber) #18

Is there a different way to get the list of group members than calling https://discourse.example.com/groups/group_name/members.json?

Since that only pulls 200 members, I can never add more than that via the API.

I tried doing it the other way via a post to http://discourse.example.com/admin/users/user_id/groups, with :payload=>{:api_key=> “xxxxx”, :group_id=>43, :api_username=>“system”} but I get a 500 error, and if I replace group_id with params[group_id], I get a 422 unprocessable entity error.

I guess I’m a little confused on the best way to add over 200 users to a custom group via the API.

(Especially since if you do wind up adding more than 200 through the API, theyll still all get truncated down to 200 if you ever have to edit the Group settings)

(Sam Saffron) #19

@lightyear was working on cleaning this, perhaps we should fix the API before the UI here, fixing the API is a lot easier.

(Brad Huber) #20

It would be super useful, because we want to have a special forum just for subscribers to our site, and we have about 1200 active right now after just 2 days (and about another 20k subscribers to go), so they keep kicking each other out of the Subscribers group when they log out and back in. (Because I’m currently using the GET members, PUT group usernames=>members method, before I knew about the 200 user limit)

If it would be a quick fix, it would be good enough to allow the API to post to admin/users/id/groups with a group_id param. (and if thats already possible, then I’m just screwing something up somewhere)

(since the trust level stuff goes through a different api endpoint that allows > 200 users, we thought about making subscribers level 3, but then that added a whole new mess of not trusting some subscribers with level 3 powers, and also the nightly reset script that would reset them all to level 2)