Navigation bar shortcuts

Hello,

Which posts inside 1 topic users read mostly?

1. First post - user can get it by 1 click at navigation bar - it’s OK.
  2. Last posts - user can get it by 1 click at navigation bar - it’s OK.
  3. Best Answers / Canned Reply - if such function display chosen post at the top of topic - it’s OK.
  4. Own posts - to find them user or must scroll and scroll, or must use search and then open each found post at new window one-by-one - it’s NOT OK.
  5. Reply to own posts - to find them user or must scroll and scroll, or must use search and then open each found post at new window one-by-one, or must search for correspond notification and then reopen topic by link - it’s NOT OK.

We see that on users own/reply posts searching - to minimize the users time wasting and to minimize server resources wasting because of unneeded posts loading - current navigation needs some improvements.

I suggest a very simple but very convenient solution:
A) Add to navigation bar top&bottom special fast shortcuts for #4-5 as: at top My prev and Reply prev, at bottom My next and Reply next - by clicking on them users will instantly jump to correspond posts.
B) Also you can add colored marks on navigation bar with in-out symbol and even nickname of respondent like: user reply to “➔ Johny”, user got reply from “🡸 Peter”, or just like conversation with " :speech_balloon: with Kevin". Also it’s possible to add simple icons to display which posts have URL/image/video/file attachment. Or for minimizing you can display arrows my/reply only and display all details on mouse hover.

I’m sure it will be very useful and time&loading saving for most users.

Waiting for your reply and then will post next my improvements suggestions.

1 Like

I am sorry but I am not following this suggestion, can you post a visual mockup.

NP. Suppose to save NavigationBar space and lightweight - all reply’s authors names better to display on rollover over each mark or over NavigationBar (this function can be improvement with smart authors names aggregation with arrows later). In-topic search can add the new “SearchResult” mark with correspond Shortcut “Search result prev/next”. "There are can be many different visual variants, but any of them will make NavigationBar MUCH more useful!

1 Like

Thank you for the screenshot, that is very helpful.

We have had some similar discussions in the past here: Natural breakpoints or "chapters" for long topics?

I would say that we are likely looking to revamp our timeline control some time in the next year or two, but we do not have work slotted quite yet.

2 Likes

It’s very easy to add a simple shorcuts for My/Reply/SearchResult prev/next. You really can do this for 2-3 days and thus save tons of time and servers resource for those 1-2 years before you will make some “complete revamp”… :\

That your conversation is more similar to my another suggestion, but my suggestion is more comprehensive and completed:

It’s hard to display at 1 Timeline at once all 4 useful types of marks: My posts, Reply posts, Search results, FAQ answers. To do this you will need to add a switcher or display Search results and FAQ answers a little to the side or just display 4 timelines - one for each type of posts.

Yep! I’ve just devise the world best solution for so many marks at 1 timeline without any switchers etc. Message me when you will need it. :wink: