Hamburger menu: how to change FAQ to Guidelines, add Help link, remove About or make About customizable?

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I am getting alot of pushback about items on the hamburger menu and would be grateful for pointers on how to customize these.

• FAQ = This item on the menu should read Guidelines and not FAQ
  • Help = Would really like to be able to link to a help page, much like this suggestion to provide a usage guide. I disagree with @codinghorror on this - people in my community are clamoring for the kind of info that @riking started collecting. (ooh, pleased to discover that it is possible to change the destination of FAQ - this helps a bit)
  • About = this link crept into the code at some point and I never noticed, and while I like the stats it doesn’t make sense on our new site to display it. We also have no admins or moderators. So I’d like to remove this item from the menu.

I’d also like to be able to display the links to Guidelines, Help, TOS and Privacy on all four of these pages as they exist partially on Guidelines, TOS and Privacy now. Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

Thanks for any guidance!

(Kane York) #2

I just tried to do this, and it isn’t possible with just CSS changes. will need some extensibility point (ping @sam)

(Jeff Atwood) #3

This is a bunch of extensibility we don’t have planned at the moment – sorry.

(Spero Koulouras) #4

There is a really gross way to make “FAQ” into “Guidelines” just with CSS. It is non-localizable and is a complete hack:

a.faq-link {
    position: relative;
    color: white;   // This hides the letters FAQ as long as the background is white
}
a.faq-link:after {
    content: "Guidelines";
    position: absolute;
    top: 7px;     // These may need to be adjusted depending on your fonts
    left: 4px;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    color: #08c;   // This needs to match the color of your other Hamburger items
}

The better way to do it is by using a locale-override translation. Search for “FAQ” and replace it with “Guidelines” in the locale-override client.en.yml file. Edit with care.

We though about creating a User Guide but instead created an “Onboarding” module for new users that guides them through the basics of selecting a category and creating a topic. To do this we have some Javascript and a cookie that tracks if they have dismissed the onboarding. We agree with Jeff that nobody will read the User Guide, they just need to be shown what to do. Our first cut at this was pretty weak, we are revamping it now. We used an external web site at Wix for the onboarding content. It is a PIG and a performance killer. Don’t do that.

We also wanted to get rid of “About” and did it like this with CSS:

#site-map-dropdown a[href="/about"] {
    display: none;
}

You can create buttons with the links you want in the Top of Page. Just create a div containing your buttons and put it either above the Discourse Nav using CSS -> Header, below the Discourse Nav using Text Content -> Top of Page. Use CSS to style the div and buttons as you desire.

Rename "Profile" to "My Posts" on the menu
(Tobias Eigen) #5

This is awesome - you have pretty much solved all my problems, at least for the initial rollout of my discourse site. Thanks much!

I am also curious about onboarding using an iframe and a cookie, which I think can work, and will follow up in that topic.

(Francis Brunelle) #6

:+1: for being able to easily rename FAQ to Guidelines.

The other mods in my forum want this and I agree.

We have a separate FAQ for the project itself in a wiki and that’s why we would prefer if we could have a page called “Guidelines” specifically for the forum itself (we are currently in the process of writing new guidelines and we will publish the new ones soon).

EDIT: turns out I can just add a custom FAQ url in the settings and the FAQ/Guidelines page gets renamed to Guidelines! Amazing :grinning:

Why is Guidelines called FAQ? Can we link to GUIDELINES and FAQ from hamburger menu?
(Tobias Eigen) #7

Well that’s a fairly wonderful, undocumented solution. Love it when my problems get solved so easily even if a year later. :sunny: