Having consistent problems with graphically upgrading Discourse on CoreOS

(Arve Knudsen) #1

Using CoreOS 1068.10.0 (stable) and a 2GB DigitalOcean droplet, I’m having trouble upgrading Discourse via the GUI, in that the site stops responding throughout. I am able to log into the machine via SSH however, so at least it hasn’t frozen, which used to be the case when I was still using a 1GB droplet.

I’ve only used this 2GB droplet for a couple of weeks, but while I was still on the 1GB droplet it would freeze every now and then prompting a restart and it would also freeze during upgrade via the GUI (so that I couldn’t even ssh into it). I figured it was simply a matter of running out of memory, so I decided to upgrade to 2GB. However, since the upgrade process still causes the server to become unresponsive, I guess it hasn’t to do with the amount of memory. That said, I did see excessive memory usage on the 1GB droplet one time during upgrade, before it froze.

Could anyone provide me with some advice as to what’s going wrong here? Might it be an incompatibility between CoreOS and Discourse?

(Matt Palmer) #2

Does your droplet have swap? While 2GB is enough during normal operation, an upgrade puts extra memory pressure on the system and a swap file is recommended to avoid disaster.

(Arve Knudsen) #3

Thanks for the advice. I had enabled 2 GB of swap on the 1 GB droplet (so it had 3 GB in total), but realized today that I’d forgot to enable swap on the new (2 GB) droplet. Maybe it’s as simple as that then. However, should the server become unresponsive every now and then, still? It was frozen this morning after two weeks of operation (don’t know when it went down though).

I think I will eventually want to install a multi-container setup of Discourse on Google Container Engine (Kubernetes) as the latter has proven rock stable so far, but have other things on my to-do list before then…

(Matt Palmer) #4

Depending on how much traffic you’ve got, how exactly things are configured, and precisely what “server become[s] unresponsive” means, exactly (it’s a description which hides a multitude of sins), yes, it’s entirely possible that the server could become unresponsive every now and then.

(Arve Knudsen) #5

It’s not having much traffic. But by unresponsive I mean it’s not responding to GET requests in general, and before I upgraded the droplet from 1 GB RAM to 2 GB it would freeze completely to the point of not being able to ssh in. The old droplet did have a couple gigs of swap memory though, so it was equipped with 1 GB in total more than the new droplet.