Heading in posting box

(Dungeon Mistress) #1

I have searched for this, but I’m not finding exactly what I want.

In the posting box there is an “H” at the top for “Heading”, clicking on it gives you this:

.## Heading

Is there any way to change it to put in three hashtags instead of two?

One of our forums rules is not to use anything larger than the three hashtags and it’s been that way since we changed to Discourse, however, some folks are using it to post instead of manually typing the hashtags.

I’m spending way too much time schooling users and getting feedback that they’re using this ‘pre-heading’ in the box.

I hope I’ve explained this in a coherent matter and appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

(David Taylor) #2

Rather than forcing users to do something un-intuitive, why not just apply some custom CSS to your forum to stop large headings?

This would force # ## and ### to all look the same in post content:

.cooked h1,h2,h3{
    font-size: 1.2em;
}
.d-editor-preview h1,h2,h3{
    font-size: 1.2em;
}

(Dungeon Mistress) #3

Want to make sure I understand (not computer-savvy).

We post a lot of articles in several of our news threads, so this wouldn’t affect the way we post them?

(David Taylor) #4

Looks like you’re using ### for the headings in that news thread, so that would remain the same size with the CSS I posted.

The beauty of CSS changes is that you can try them out and see how it goes - there’s no risk to your content, and you can remove the change at any time.

(Dungeon Mistress) #5

Last question, I’m a Moderator and I’ll just guess that I need an Admin to implement this, correct?

(David Taylor) #6

Yes, they’ll need to add it to an existing “theme”, or create a new “theme component”, then add that to an existing theme :slight_smile:

(Dungeon Mistress) #7

Thank you very much!

(Neil Lalonde) #8

Looks like this doesn’t work anymore… What’s the correct way to do this now? :thinking:

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Perhaps @awesomerobot would know?

(Kris) #10

Should be

.cooked, .d-editor-preview  {
    h1, h2, h3 {
        font-size: 1.3195em;
    }
}

You can substitute the 1.3195em for whatever of course, that’s just the value we’re using for h3s now.

(Neil Lalonde) #11

Thanks @awesomerobot. The h1 was small, h2 middle, and h3 large before, so I thought something more fancy was going on. Or maybe I was just imagining it… :crazy_face: