Help diagnosing an issue, possible caching issue

Hi Guys,

I am having a really tough time trying to diagnose the cause of the issue I am having on my Community.

It sees that every time I make a change to my CSS, settings or text content, any changes made don’t seem to be saving correctly. It seems that all previous states before any changes have been made to the CSS, Settings etc are being chached, resulting in one of these different states being loaded each time a new page is loaded.

Check out the gif below. Here I am trying to apply the “Request Login” setting, when I save, the setting applies, but each time I refresh it loads as an instance of when this setting is either on or off.

Also, If I navigate to the login page and click refresh, my community randomly toggles between being private and being public. Its as if both states of this setting have been saved and each reload results in one of the two states being loaded.

Another example is that I was making changes to the login_required.welcome_message under text content, when I save these changes and then log out to view the message it seems to display a different state between each instance that I clicked save, Almost like its a caching issue and storing all previous states.

Also worth noting that this inst localized to my machine, if i use a different computer this issue also exists.

If anyone could please help me understand what is happening and how to possible fix this I would be so grateful. its making it very difficult to continue my setup

Edit: I am not sure if this helps, but in the error logs I have hundreds of instances of this error which seems to le logged each time i reload the page

NoMethodError (undefined method `component' for #<Theme:0x00007f8599574600> Did you mean? Complex) /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activemodel-5.2.0/lib/active_model/

Is this a Bitnami installation?

1 Like

Yes this is a Bitnami installation, when i click on the errors in the log, the following is displayed, but I have no clue what it means.

/opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activemodel-5.2.0/lib/active_model/attribute_methods.rb:430:in `method_missing' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:99:in `block in attribute' (eval):8:in `_fast_attributes' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:468:in `rescue in attributes' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:455:in `attributes' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:480:in `_serializable_hash' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:359:in `serializable_hash' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/array_serializer.rb:89:in `block in _serializable_array' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:41:in `each' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:41:in `each' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/array_serializer.rb:79:in `map' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/array_serializer.rb:79:in `_serializable_array' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/array_serializer.rb:73:in `serializable_array' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/array_serializer.rb:53:in `as_json' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:171:in `block in as_json' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:171:in `each' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:171:in `map' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:171:in `as_json' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb:35:in `encode' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb:22:in `encode' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:41:in `to_json' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/renderers.rb:157:in `block in <module:Renderers>' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/action_controller/serialization.rb:50:in `block (2 levels) in <module:Serialization>' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/renderers.rb:150:in `block in _render_to_body_with_renderer' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/2.4.0/set.rb:324:in `each_key' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/2.4.0/set.rb:324:in `each' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/renderers.rb:146:in `_render_to_body_with_renderer' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/renderers.rb:142:in `render_to_body' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/abstract_controller/rendering.rb:25:in `render' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:36:in `render' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:46:in `block (2 levels) in render' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/benchmark.rb:14:in `block in ms' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/2.4.0/benchmark.rb:308:in `realtime' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/benchmark.rb:14:in `ms' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:46:in `block in render' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:87:in `cleanup_view_runtime' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:31:in `cleanup_view_runtime' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:45:in `render' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/app/controllers/admin/themes_controller.rb:111:in `block (2 levels) in index' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/mime_responds.rb:203:in `respond_to' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/app/controllers/admin/themes_controller.rb:110:in `index' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/basic_implicit_render.rb:6:in `send_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:194:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:30:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:42:in `block in process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:132:in `run_callbacks' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:41:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/rescue.rb:22:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:34:in `block in process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:168:in `block in instrument' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:23:in `instrument' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:168:in `instrument' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:32:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb:256:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:24:in `process_action' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:134:in `process' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionview-5.2.0/lib/action_view/rendering.rb:32:in `process' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.0/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:78:in `block in profile_method' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:191:in `dispatch' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:252:in `dispatch' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:52:in `dispatch' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:34:in `serve' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/routing/mapper.rb:18:in `block in <class:Constraints>' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/routing/mapper.rb:48:in `serve' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:52:in `block in serve' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:35:in `each' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:35:in `serve' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:840:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-protection-2.0.3/lib/rack/protection/frame_options.rb:31:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:24:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/tempfile_reaper.rb:15:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/conditional_get.rb:25:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/head.rb:12:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/http/content_security_policy.rb:18:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:214:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:232:in `context' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:226:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:670:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:28:in `block in call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.0/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:98:in `run_callbacks' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:26:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:61:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:33:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/logster-1.2.11/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:31:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.2.0/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.2.0/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:28:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:16:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:81:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:27:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/method_override.rb:22:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.0/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/executor.rb:14:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:111:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.0/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:174:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/message_bus-2.1.5/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:63:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:180:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.2.0/lib/rails/engine.rb:524:in `call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.2.0/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `public_send' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.2.0/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `method_missing' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:68:in `block in call' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `each' /opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `call' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/passenger-5.1.2/src/ruby_supportlib/phusion_passenger/rack/thread_handler_extension.rb:97:in `process_request' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/passenger-5.1.2/src/ruby_supportlib/phusion_passenger/request_handler/thread_handler.rb:152:in `accept_and_process_next_request' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/passenger-5.1.2/src/ruby_supportlib/phusion_passenger/request_handler/thread_handler.rb:113:in `main_loop' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/passenger-5.1.2/src/ruby_supportlib/phusion_passenger/request_handler.rb:416:in `block (3 levels) in start_threads' /opt/bitnami/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/passenger-5.1.2/src/ruby_supportlib/phusion_passenger/utils.rb:113:in `block in create_thread_and_abort_on_exception'

Bitnami is not an installation we support, having said that I tried to replicate your problem without success.
You should try to install Discourse with our official guide discourse/INSTALL.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub, import the site backup and see if you can replicate the issue.

If the bug also appears with an official installation we can try to understand what it depends on

5 Likes

@Dax Thanks so much, I give this a try.
:+1: