Help text on num_flags_to_block_new_user settings seems little ambiguous

(Mugli) #1

First I thought num_flags_to_block_new_user and num_users_to_block_new_user got misplaced/swapped description on them until I noticed “this many” phrase. However, I think the (n) and (x) catch attention here more than “this many”, so there might be scope of improvement.

(Régis Hanol) #2

What about something like this?

• num_flags_to_block_new_user: If a new user’s posts get (x) spam flags from (num_users) different users, hide all their posts and prevent future posting. 0 disables this feature.

• num_users_to_block_new_user: If a new user’s posts get (num_flags) spam flags from (x) different users, hide all their posts and prevent future posting. 0 disables this feature.

(Dave McClure) #3

I think the “this many” part actually works better that (x), but it’s clearer to me if you reference the number earlier in the sentence.

• num_flags_to_block_new_user
    If this many spam flags are given to a new user’s posts from (num_users) different users, hide all their posts and prevent future posting. 0 disables this feature.
  • num_users_to_block_new_user
    If this many different users flag a new user’s posts with (num_flags) spam flags, hide all their posts and prevent future posting. 0 disables this feature.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

We should just put the full names of the settings there, too bad they are so long, but there’s nothing else that makes sense. I can do that later.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

OK I committed this change. It will be long and wordy, but I do not think anyone can claim it is ambiguous any more…

(Jeff Atwood) #6