which version is this available on? 2026.8?
It’s available on 2026.7 as an experimental change, but it’s going to be behind on updates in older versions… for testing experiments it’s best to be on the latest release channel (currently v2026.8.0-latest.1) because features change very quickly in the early phases.
Why not include the option to customize the toolbar? That way, it could be adapted to suit all users. Especially on mobile, having the buttons we care about readily available would be great, as otherwise, you have to scroll to find them. It’s just an idea.
And it’s one we also definitely have! It’s just not part of a composer redesign, which in this case is mainly about styling and re-arranging layout, not adding new features (such as would be needed for a toolbar customisation). I’m hopeful we will land that idea in a not-too-distant future though
In my opinion, improving the mobile composing experience shouldn’t come at the expense of challenging users who work on desktop. Our community serves as a B2B support channel connecting people, each sitting in front of a desktop:
Asking them to adjust their muscle memory creates an unnecessary challenge from their perspective and runs counter to the established desktop convention of having tools and controls at the top rather than at the bottom.
I suspect your site might be part of a small and declining group of primarily desktop-based users.
We’re probably the inverse of that.
You can’t open a news site these days and watch a video that hasn’t been orientated for mobile viewing - looks horrid on a desktop.
Mobile viewing and user experience has been lacking and behind the desktop experience for a while now. I have been wanting to see the same experience across both device types, it shouldn’t matter how you access a community, though, naturally, the format requires some compromise.
I saw an issue with Fakebook Theme, though I’m not sure if the problem was theme related. When I tried to view a topic from the main topics view, I was put into an edit view in the new composer. This was on mobile (android PWA).
I also think I saw an issue when editing a description within an event, I was seeing some weirdness when I tried to add a link within the description, when I pasted the link it seemed to disappear.
I had enabled it for our users, but sadly decided to disable for now. Looking forward to the Beta version when it’s a little more baked!
I think the contrast is low for people with vision problems. I’d prefer darker borders or at least CSS that makes it easy to darken them. It would look better if the active input had a dark border, like it does now on this forum.
I’ve enabled this change for everyone on Meta now to cast a wider net for testing. Especially interested to hear if anything is really broken in any configuration or setup.
This is the first day where i’ve experienced the new composer on an iOS device; it seems less broken than yesterday using the previous composer, but i didn’t bother reporting then because i knew about this new composer.
There is one small thing in the OP;
A first step for this has been done:
It’s a standalone change.
That’s really awesome @chapoi ![]()
We should have an option to customize for mobile, desktop, or both, because on mobile it’s really a pain due to the small screen size.
But it’s really cool that you can customize it.
Thanks again! ![]()
As we have known Ai has been used to further aid development of Discourse for years, so I wonder how much Ai went into this redesign and “how” it occured?
I’m curious because I want to understand it’s inception, was AI used for visual composition before a single piece of code was raised?
nah, these ideas have been discussed internally as early as 2024 using good old fashioned @chapoi brainpower… though I’m not sure why it matters, regardless of the origin we still validate our work the same ways we always have, AI isn’t bossing us around (yet
)




