Here's my Categories as Sub-Reddit / Sub-Discourse Idea

(Jeff Atwood) #14

This is great, and is definitely on the road map in some form – this one looks like a practical option!

(Jens) #15

I second the desire for subreddit style category subscriptions, including a homepage filtered by “subdiscourses” I’m subscribed to. It’s an excellent filtering mechanism for large communities.

I agree with @codinghorror, categories or subforums wall people from another, but they drive engagement and activity within the subdiscourse in return.

(Kiran Patil) #17

May I know when will this feature hits the Discourse ?

Any progress so far ??

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Perhaps sometime in 2014.

(Kiran Patil) #19

We feel that it (Sub-Categories or Sub-Discourse) is a core feature and should be addressed soon.

(Lowell Heddings) #20

There are a lot of important core features that are being worked on already, or in the pipeline to be finished this year… Personally I think that proper Mobile support is more important. But that’s just me, and there are a lot of other features.

That said, Discourse is an Open Source project, so you’re more than welcome to assist in building features. Considering that I was the topic starter here, I’d be interested to see somebody tackle it.

(rocode) #21

Perhaps we could create a issue ticket for it on Github has a feature request, then use http://www.freedomsponsors.org/ to fund its development. It would allow for non-coders or those who can’t code ruby or Ember.js to contribute toward this popular feature.

(Sam Saffron) #22

@geek we have a basic implementation of this deployed now, try drilling into a category.

unread/new/favourite etc are all automatically scoped.

@awesomerobot we need to improve the UI somewhat, any ideas?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #23

Is this not enabled on meta.d? I’m not seeing it in action. Unread/new/favorite are still global for me.

(Lowell Heddings) #24

That drop-down doesn’t work for me (on Meta either).

Very nice though.

(Sam Saffron) #25

yeah, @eviltrout is sorting out the glitches

(Robin Ward) #26

Should already be deployed actually. Is it still busted?

(Kris) #27

I don’t think it’s too far off… maybe it’s just simplifying it? Right now it’s a bit difficult to understand what the arrow next to the home button does… but maybe if it’s better integrated with the category indicator. Home can just become an “all categories” option…

a rough mock-up:

(Bill Ayakatubby) #28

It’s working for me now. Very cool!

(Jeff Atwood) #29

I really like @geek’s mockup, we should make it work like that!

(Robin Ward) #30

I just deployed a version that’s closer to @geek’s mockup. Feedback please!

(Lowell Heddings) #31

I like it.

My one bit of feedback is that once you click through to a topic page, it isn’t quite as easy to get back to the category page that you were on, because the category “button” isn’t in a consistent place, being at the end of the title.

This was my original mockup, that made the category always show up right next to the logo:

The idea is that you can either click the Logo to go back to the home page, or the category navigation “button” to go back to the category.

(Мария Сергеева) #32

It does not look good. It looks redundant because there is already category selector in the main menu. It looks heavy because to select category I need to scroll. Visual category switcher is a good idea but now it is a little bit complicated.

(Jacob) #33

Shouldn’t topics in the subcategories be listed when viewing the parent category? I see that’s not the case and I really don’t like that.

(Sam Saffron) #34

Closing this now that its pretty much implemented.