Hide the header while scrolling down

(Adam Capriola) #1

I think having the header accessible at any point of the page without having to scroll all the way up is important, since pagination is a concept of the past and you might be at the bottom of a long topic, but the header does make the viewing window significantly smaller. (It takes up about 10% of my 13" MacBook Pro screen.)

I noticed on Medium that they started hiding their header while you scroll down (and are presumably reading), but it appears again when you start scrolling up. Here’s a link to an article, just so you can see.

Perhaps this would be a good approach to adapt for Discourse?

Auto-hide persistent fixed header on scroll
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Do not support. Plenty of sites with fixed headers, and if you hide the header you will have no idea what the title of the topic is, whether new notifications arrived, search, etcetera.

Medium is ultra-minimalist blogging (mostly passive reading) platform, we are a an interactive, live discussion platform, we have a far more complex interaction model than passive reading. We can only be “minimalist” insofar as we do not gut our core function.

(Itzik Arzoni) #3

Actually in mobile, I never see the title of the topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

You will see it on top of the first post. Where would it go when scrolled down?

(Itzik Arzoni) #5

Sorry, you’re right. I meant never when I scroll.

It just scolls up with the rest of the text.

(Dave McClure) #6

There’s a separate topic specifically discussing the idea of showing the topic title on mobile.

(Jakob Borg) #7

… so on desktop we’d get hopelessly confused, but on mobile we’re fine with our short term memory? :wink: