Hostname/domain

(Maged Sammor) #1

Hello!

I currently have my domain from Namecheap and hosting from Scaleway. I was able to do the installation and Discourse is perfectly working on scaleway’s server IP. I think I got confused on the hostname/domain part and wasn’t able to set it up properly, how can I link a namecheap domain to my VPS server on scaleway? is it through DNS? Thanks!

I think I misunderstood the "Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: " and put my domain name instead.

(Felix Freiberger) #2

Entering the domain name is the correct thing to do there :slight_smile:

Assuming you did enter the correct hostname during setup, you’re just missing some DNS entries. Log into your Scaleway account and look for the IPv4 address of your host. In Namecheap, set the A record for your Domain to this address. If you also found an IPv6 address, store that in the corresponding AAAA record.

Once this is done, have a :coffee: (DNS is slow) and check the results. If things work out, great! If not, you can help us help you by posting your domain name so we can have a look :smiley:

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

There are now two A records for pullten.com:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pullten.com.            1799    IN      A       10.4.60.15
pullten.com.            1799    IN      A       192.64.119.188

You’ll want to delete the one that’s not your Discourse server.

At this point, neither of those addresses is coming up with a Discourse server.

(Maged Sammor) #5

Thank you for the input!

I should only have one A record running now, I am still wondering if the value of the record should be the host’s IP or Private IP in Scaleway, right now I went with the IP that opens the website which is just IP in scaleway.

Are nameservers in namecheap related in anyway? they are currently set as default. Thanks again :slight_smile:

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

It looks like your site is not accessible.

Google: “open ports YOUR CLOUD SERVICE” for information for resolving this problem.

(Maged Sammor) #7

I added a rule to accept inbound 53 port, will that do it? Also should I try CNAME to {SERVER UUID}.pub.cloud.scaleway.com instead of A to ip?

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Ports 80 and 443 are the ones you want.

(Kane York) #9

80 and 443.

Don’t accept 53 inbound, that turns you into an open resolver, AKA participant in DDoS attacks.

(Jay Pfaffman) #10

I guess my "Google this " wasn’t very good.