How about always showing the last poster last?

(Dave McClure) #1

Continuing the discussion from Changing or removing the last poster avatar highlight:

So instead of this:

Do this:

The highlight tells you that the last poster is the OP, so no info lost.

This makes the time narrative more consitent as well:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I thought we covered this in excruciating detail in the previous topic? We always want the leftmost avatar to be the topic creator.

(Dave McClure) #3

I don’t think this particular idea had been raised and it hadn’t occurred to me until now. Had to throw it out there.

I agree that other topic was getting in the weeds, and if this one starts going down another rabbit hole, feel free to close it.

I don’t always agree with Jeff about appearance, but in this case I definitely do.

Having the topic creator shift between the first position and the last position depending whether s/he is the last poster seems like it would create much more confusion than any possible benefit.

(Jens Maier) #5

And while we’re at it, shouldn’t the list be right-aligned? Or why don’t we shift the last poster’s avatar to the left proportional to the last post’s age?

Or… or…

(Dave McClure) #6

well at least there appears to be consensus!

(Stephanie) #7

Those ideas are all right, but have you thought about how exciting the page would look if you animated that section?

(Jens Maier) #8

Absolutely! We should put all the avatars in a carousel starting with OP and slooooowly spin to latest poster when the topic scrolls on screen! :joy:

(Stephanie) #9

And when there’s a new comment, that user’s avatar should bounce!

(Jens Maier) #10

:+1:

(Stephanie) #11

For shiggles, I reversed that. Was not disappointed. But they were….