How about making the forum index menu "sticky"?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I like how the topic title is stuck into the sticky menu and scrolls down with as you browse through the posts of a topic.

I’d prefer the forum index working in a similar fashion, giving me direct access to the top menu, most importantly the “create topic” button:

Some ideas to clean up topic list menu buttons on mobile layout
Place category menu/breadcrumb in top bar next to logo if scrolled down
Proposing a left-aligned slide out hamburger menu
Show navbar "unread, recent .." on a topic
Discourse General Polish prior to V1
How about showing the posts category and sorts always
Notify me about incoming links when I'm watching a topic
(Brentley Jones) #2

A simple like isn’t enough. This would be an AWESOME improvement.

(chronodekar) #3

Sounds like a useful feature to have. I like that screenshot too.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Glad to hear people agree.

This is a pretty ideal community contribution though, as I figure it’s gonna be a while until the core devs get around to nice-to-haves like this UX improvement. Anyone wanna be my knight in shining armor and try their hand at a pull request? (we’ll keep it platonic).

(Sam Saffron) #5

@awesomerobot is this anything you can experiment with? Do you think it makes sense.

(Kris) #6

I think it does make sense… but since the suggestion had been originally made the category dropdown came into existence, so having one or two of those eats up a lot of the space…

This kind of works for example… but then admins also have the edit category button… some sites have more nav… things get kind of crazy.

Would it be confusing to let some nav stick and let the others stay at the top of the page? Would that defeat the purpose?

Consolidating into a dropdown could help, but that’s a lot of dropdowns happening…

(Kamal Patel) #7

Dissenting opinion: when I tried a similar sticky menu setup on a website homepage (similar to forum index), the users rebelled. The existing Discourse sticky content is very clean-looking, and users who frequent the forums will see the other menu items very often as it is.

That being said, I can see many people liking a more involved sticky menu, especially the “create topic” button.

Edit: I change my mind! It doesn’t necessarily have to be cluttered, especially if admins can choose what stays in the index sticky menu.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I would much rather we spent time on the E-Z theming support GUI rather than this. This is at best a nice to have. Nobody is complaining about lack of nav on scrolled down topic lists, whereas there is considerable demand for ability to select colors in your theme to match your main site.

(Michael Woode) #9

Something like this could work:

.list-controls{clear:both;position: fixed;width: 100%;background: #f5f5f5;padding-top: 10px;top: 63px;}
 #main-outlet > div.container.list-container {margin-top: 45px;}

Which could probably be made to replace .d-header on scroll just like google+

(Kris) #10

The only problem I see with that is by eliminating d-header you’re also eliminating the user control panel that holds notifications and all those fun important bits… and if you keep d-header with that secondary nav bar you’ve got a rather large fixed header going on.

I definitely think there’s a better way to handle the topic-list navigation that doesn’t potentially abandon the nav at the top of a forever-scrolling page… but it seems like it may need more work than just relocating existing elements.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

I do think at a minimum the category and subcat should stick. It is very confusing to scroll down in the topic list when browsing topics in a category and have zero reminders on screen of what category those topics are all in.

(Dave McClure) #12

I like the sticky nav idea, but the problem you cite could just as easily be solved by keeping the category column visible when you are in a subcategory. Its already there on the latest page and top level categories like ‘feature’…

(Jeff Atwood) #13

You mean in the topic list itself? Oh, that’s interesting. In subcategory, the whole category column is suppressed. This behavior is specific to categories that have subcategories.

I kind of agree with this @sam if we are going to show the category column in parent categories, we might as well show it in subcategories as well. We might as well be consistent and just always show the category column.

Otherwise we have to start moving category stuff to the topnav on scroll down which I am OK with.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #14

This suggestion still holds plenty of merit in my book. It would make Tag customisations like this one more viable, and it cleans up the interface considerably.

It also enhances workflow and encourages further interaction, as you can scroll down a category to the point where there’s no fresh content, then quickly jump to a new one without scrolling all the way back up (and index pages don’t have a “jump to top” shortcut either).

Here’s a mockup of how it’d look, with the addition of tags (pretending it was enabled). I also gave it 40% transparency because it shouldn’t be too shiny when you’re scrolling down and reading the topics. When you scroll back up it’d return to 100% opacity again.

Idea for new navigation scheme to re-purpose the hamburger
Category column discrepancy between categories with and without sub-category
(mark) #15

Hi

I would like to keep the top menu bar options on all pages of the forum:-

At the moment if you look at a thread the menu bar is not there and you need to go back to the forum home page to see the options. I appreciate they are in the drop down menu next to the avatar but I would like them to be visible throughout the site.

Regards,

Mark

(Mittineague) #16

And sacrifice the topic title from showing when the page is scrolled down?

(mark) #17

Could the be incorporated together so they both show? Its the same if you go to a forum sub-section, the menu bar at the top disappears.

(Mittineague) #18

I guess desktop wouldn’t be so bad with both. But it might cramp mobile view.

(mark) #19

Ah I see what you mean. From a users point of view I would want to look at a thread but not have to go back to the home page to see the main menu options. Does that make sense? If the create button was also visible all of the time I think people would post more often.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #20

Ah. When I pointed you to this topic I hadn’t yet realised that you also wanted this menu inside topics. I don’t think that is an advisable UX change. We don’t want to overload people with visual elements. Many people’s first impression of a forum is through a direct link to a topic. The topic title & category needs to be very prominent and unobscured by other elements, or else the new visitor will feel disoriented and out of place.

I still like the idea of sticking some or all of the forum index menu to all category/sub-category pages though.