How about 'mentioning topic' feature?

(Mait) #1

Like ‘@’ for mentioning user, ‘$’ or another simple character could be one for topic.

It’s like search through discourse search popup then copy link and paste it. But more simple way.

Is it possible to auto-complete links to existing topics?
Insert internal link like Wordpress
Tagging and pulling the relevant topic in editor
Internal Link Shortcuts
Quick Links Addition to Forums
Hashtags for categories ...and not tags?
@mention #forum and... %search?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

It is an interesting idea, but you can already use the search box to search while you compose – for users, topics, categories – without interrupting the post compose.

Give that a shot, I’d much rather improve search for everyone instead of adding a secret shortcut few will learn.

(Ronteras) #3

I’d love to see this feature. Boost in productivity, especially on forums with hundreds of topics.

(Juffin) #4

Good idea indeed. i’d love to see this function.

(Dave McClure) #5

I have found myself wanting this more now that I can mention groups and categories in addition to users…

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I would need to hear at some length how this could be useful, with some real world examples, because I don’t see it at all.

(Dave McClure) #7

We have all done well without it for three years, so I’m sure it’s not a burning issue.

I’ll prepare my thoughts and follow up when I can.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #8

Well, not necessarily going to post “at length”, but I will try to give a real world examples.

Right now, when I want to mention another post, I open a new tab, load the Discourse, and search for the post in question. Then I click the link button, copy the text, and paste it back in the thread. It would be nice if there was a UI similar to the moderator “move to existing topic” UI where I can search for the topic I want, be shown likely options, and then select the one I want. Being able to do this right from the post composer would be very nice. In particular, when the full screen mobile editors come in release 1.6, having this feature baked into the editor would be useful.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Why? You can search on desktop at any time by using the search icon at upper right, even while composing a post.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #10

It might just be me, but generally I am looking at the previous posts I am responding too at the same time, so I do not want to navigate away from the topic I am responding to while referencing other topics. If I am creating a topic, on the other hand, I have no issue navigating around the site to find topics to reference.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

You don’t need to navigate away, find what you need in the search UI popup, right click or long tap, and copy link. Functionally exactly identical to this proposed “inline search”, just at the top right instead of in the middle of the editor.

(Dave McClure) #12

I think I tend to cross-reference topics more than the average person, so perhaps this is not mainstream request.

I think it could be an interaction that ties into this feature, if that gets picked up as planned:

I am imagining being able to start typing the characters [Mini one and have it autocomplete to inline the link to the topic with the name.

Or maybe it’d be really annoying - hard to say without trying it to be honest.

I don’t think I have a complaint-driven way to push for this feature. Just something that came to mind again recently and thought I’d toss it out there in case it struck a chord.

(Brady) #13

I share this same sentiment (that it would be quite useful but we’re doing well without). We use readme.io for our documentation and they have similar functionality to this.

If I’m editing one of our docs and start typing [ then it pops up a couple different docs we have just like you get with the mention UI so I can choose to link one of those really quickly.

(Admir Hodzic) #14

I do not think that it inline searching will be usable (useful).
We have simplified searching inside merging tool and moving to existing topics.
I almos every time need to open new tab and to copy / paste
Becouse search list do not prove me enought info to be shure where I am going to move posts.

From list above I am not shure Does my post going to right way.
Here I am missing inital user, Status of post (open / close / resoleve etc).
Time of post and many others that I see on full search page.

(Tom Price) #15

This might just be me as a developer, but I regularly cross reference issues on GitHub and there interface for that is absolutely fantastic. Going to a separate page to search for a quick topic reference is quite clunky, even if the editor stays with you. I would agree it isn’t an issue how it currently is, but this might be an improvement.

Searching for an issue on GitHub

Whether this was done in the same way or by some other means, I think the inline search is the useful bit.

I tend to find myself doing this a lot also. Although new to Discourse, in previous software I am constantly scrolling back and forth looking at previous content and searching for bits of the discussion.

(Jeff Atwood) #16

Very, very different use case than arbitrary free-form discussion, though. So I think it is a specious comparison.

This is exactly my thought as well. We’ve done “inline” searching in dialogs a bunch of places, including here, including Stack Exchange, and it’s basically impossible to do well. You guys are radically underestimating the difficulty here, and hand waving in “it’ll just work” when… much evidence points to the contrary.

(Dave McClure) #17

When I’m cross referencing topics, I have often already searched for it or recently seen it and have the title fresh in my mind or close at hand. It’s not about searching, its just about a convenient way to reduce the number of clicks and key taps when you know what you want.

(Brady) #18

I think implementation of this would be simplified if there were a curated list of topics you specifically want to mention. You probably don’t want to reference anymore than your 20 most common topics and you won’t remember the titles for more than 100.

Because of this you could just allow users to manually input each topic they want to be easily linkable (either via json or a UI). Then you don’t have to even worry about speed/performance and how much it takes to parse through 15k different topics.

(Jeff Atwood) #19

I am not sure but I do agree the inline autocomplete only works well when the set is confined to something reasonable versus, any of these 100k topics at all…

Category setting: new topics are wiki by default
(Dave McClure) #20

I don’t understand why the performance concern is different than what is already being done for search… Especially if unlike search its limited to the title of the topic.