How can I apply a badge to group of users?

(John Mardlin) #1

I’m trying to incentivize the engagement of some of our most valuable community members, who are beta testers for our product.

To do so, I’ve created a Beta group, and created a hidden topic for to discuss the beta product.

I would also like to grant all of these users a publicly visible Beta badge, so that they can have some credibility, feel appreciated, etc.

1. Is it possible to apply a badge to an entire group?

2. At the moment, I’m actually not sure the best way to add a badge to a user, aside from going right into …/admin/users/user_name/badges, is there a better way?

(Jens Maier) #2

Sam posted this earlier today:

It should be possible to adapt this to assign a badge to all members in a group by group name:

SELECT gu.user_id, gu.created_at AS granted_at, null AS post_id
FROM group_users AS gu
WHERE gu.group_id = ( SELECT id FROM groups WHERE name ilike 'beta' );

Assign specified badge a single user
Special Privileges for Certain Users?
How are user titles generated?
(Kane York) #3

I would recommend either finding the precise group ID and just pasting that in, or having an exact equality on the group name.

(Passante) #4

After one year, a lot as been done on the badge side. Greate work!
Now I want to ask the same question of the OP.
Is it possible to assign and show an image like this for a user or a group?
My team is pressing me since the beginning :sweat_smile:

(cpradio) #5

So it where? Badges can receive an image URL when you set them up. So just upload the image to your assets page, then grab the link and associate it to the badge.

(Jens Maier) #6

Badges, stars or other eyecandy that appears near the user’s avatar or name on each and every post isn’t supported in Discourse by default. This would be plugin territory… :slight_smile:

Hey guys, is it ok to use the above SQL statement to assign badges to group members?

If I add the query to the badge query section, when will it run and issue badges? Is it daily?

Many thanks

Edit: It appears to work when I preview granted badges - can anybody shed some light on when the query is run?

(Sam Saffron) #8

Badges like this usually run daily

Works great thank you - and as you say, daily.

(Sebastian) #10

Just trying this out and when previewing I get an error saying

Contract violation:
Query triggers on users, but does not reference the ':user_ids' array

(Daniela) #11

Change the trigger of the badge in daily

(Christoph) #12

Good point. Where do I find the precise group ID of a given group?

(cpradio) #14

You can visit https://www.example.com/groups.json

That will give you an JSON output that has the ID and names of each group