How can I change the favicon after installed

Recently the logo for my organization has been changed, and therefore, the logo for the forum should also be changed. However, it seems like I couldn’t change it besides in the First Start Wizard

So, how could I change the favicon (the little icon at the tabs on browsers) in discourse?

Feel free to visit the wizard again! It’s hiding at /wizard. Re-running it is totally fine.

Alternatively, edit favicon url in Settings :slight_smile:

5 Likes

oh, thanks it works :smile:

1 Like

Hi, just on this what size favicon works?

Because I have been trying to add a 16x16 PNG favicon on the site, but it does not seem to like it.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by?

Are you receiving some sort of error messsage from Discourse? Does the icon simply not appear in the browser?

Hi, sorry what I meant is that when I upload the favicon file as a png and apply it in the settings it does not appear… I have also tried 32x32 but still getting the same thing.

So what does appear? An older icon you previously uploaded, or the default Discourse icon?

The default discourse icon

I cannot reproduce this. It took a few refreshes, but after running the wizard and adding a new favicon image it updated. You can see a very stretched cat here:
https://test.jomaxro.win/

Ah,that’s one thing I have not tried… I’ll run it through the wizard. Hopefully that sorts it out, ill update you on the situation.

Thanks.

That’s odd because the first advice you got, the literal first reply to this topic, is to use the wizard. Maybe try following the advice?

I assumed you didn’t have to run the initial wizard again to change the favicon, so I tried changing the setting directly.

Surely it should work both ways right?

I suggest following the advice given, rather than choosing your own random path.

Yes my bad, old habits die hard. :wink:

Favicons are cached in many browsers and stay old even when refreshing. It is frustrating sometimes to get a new favicon to show on a browser tat already has been to the site. The only surefire way I find is to clear the entire browsing cache.

I have had this error for a long while now.

When I look at the settings I can see the url I have used

When I copy the url into a browser, it loads the image without any errors or problems.

Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong. I am still getting the default discourse favicon on my site.

Works for me:

Perhaps the DNS doesn’t work from your container so Discourse doesn’t realize it’s OK.

What happens if you change the setting to:

/uploads/default/original/1X/f156fc35baee07ba19c72ebc00581d1977025e06.jpg

1 Like

Fantastic, that’s my solution. Thanks.

2 Likes

Does this have anything to do with the recent change where uploaded image hashes were shortened?

I don’t think that would have any interaction, no.

1 Like