How can I move a user's profile background to their profile picture?

(Tobias Eigen) #1

This is a common occurrence on my discourse:

I’d love to be able to help in this case by editing the profile and moving the profile background over to profile picture, but don’t see a way to do it. Any guidance much appreciated.

Also perhaps the UX needs to be tweaked - clearly it’s not working for my less tech savvy users. This one is in Papua New Guinea and doesn’t have very regular access to the Internet.

One consideration I am already thinking about is to remove the Profile background and User Card background from the prefs, but that is a shame because some people make great use of it.

Maybe background pics could be offered only to higher trust levels? How are others handling this issue or is it a non-issue for most discourse admins?

(Tobias Eigen) #2

Oh, and as usual I found the answer right after I posted the question. I can use the chrome browser inspect feature to find the jpg, download it and then upload it again. A bit quirky but probably ok for this occasional use case.

(cpradio) #3

The only way I know of is to right-click on the image, choose inspect, you will see a background-image url

Copy that background image url and paste it in a new tab, that will let you save the image locally and re-upload it as their actual profile picture.

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Great minds and what not. thanks! :beers:

I am now looking to do a data explorer search to see how many people have set their background and see if it as widespread as I think it is.

(Nguyễn Hiệu) #5

I don’t know how to do like you before and now I know. Thanks.

But we can edit the photo before, right? @tobiaseigen

(Tobias Eigen) #6

Heh. And searching for more on this topic came across this old post of mine elsewhere. Once I figure out how to see who’s set their background I think I’ll have enough data to decide if I want to disable this feature (as Jeff suggested over there). Now it’s an admin setting which is helpful, no more css hack required.

(Tobias Eigen) #7

My data explorer query…

SELECT user_id, profile_background, card_background
FROM user_profiles 
WHERE profile_background !='' OR card_background !=''

… only revealed 44 people with backgrounds. Of these, only one had not uploaded a picture of themselves as well. So this issue is not so common and not worth worrying about.