How can I replicate the discourse header in my site?

(Juan Manuel Formoso) #1

Sorry that this is a little off topic, but I don’t know there’s anywhere better to ask this. Feel free to delete though, no hard feelings.

I want to have a site and a companion forum using discourse, and I’d love to have the same header in both. I want to replicate this header in my site, but my front end abilities are next to nil.

Could anyone point me in the right direction in the discourse source code to take a look and try it?

Sorry for posting these links here, but it’d be better understood with the concrete example.

I want to have the same header in my site here http://knowyourdota.com/ (where I’m using bootstrap) than in my discourse here http://discuss.knowyourdota.com/

(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

How-To Geek and Boing Boing have similar headers, but they aren’t identical. Boing Boing’s is the closest. Would that be sufficient?

(Juan Manuel Formoso) #3

I kinda want to go the opposite direction, and have the discourse header in my site.

I want to “extract” the style and use it with bootstrap (that’s why it’s a little offtopic)

(Del Boy Trotter) #4

This is exactly what we want to do - has anyone gotten anywhere with this?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Yes, the READ ME FIRST: Admin Quick Start Guide has a section that explains how to do this, with an example.

This is a default topic that appears at the top of every new Discourse install; the topic is also on GitHub in source control.

(Del Boy Trotter) #6

Are we talking about lifting the discourse top bar into our site? I can’t see where you’re talking about. I read the read me first topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Oh my bad, I read this backwards. This topic is about putting the Discourse header on another site.

That isn’t really possible at this time. I’m not entirely sure that’s a good idea. I recommend the traditional “global nav header above the Discourse header” which is consistent across all your sites.

(Del Boy Trotter) #8

I’ve started reverse engineering it. Am I going down a dark rabbit hole attempting this?

(Stuart Alexander) #9

The thing is, that if you have a global nav above the discourse bar, you can’t have a unified search & notification system. So I want to see any notifications that I have, no matter where I am on the site. I also want to search for content on my site as well as discourse posts. This is only achievable with a unified nav bar that can be embedded.
Why don’t you think it’s a good idea?