How can we get a full sentence in welcome emails?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

I’d love to know… in the welcome email, how many people have name which need “the” ahead of them?

I have a commit showing the changes I proposed:
https://github.com/watchmanmonitoring/discourse/commit/35b1c68281d5d0b965606892b5c3accefdeca260

Here are my two primary discourse, one does, one doesn’t need it:

Watchman Community needs a “the”

Consultants Discuss doesn’t need “the”

So, how many people do we have in each boat?

• I want "the "
  • "the " would not work for us

0 voters

Assuming this isn’t a one-sided set of results, how should it be fixed?

• Make an optional "the "
  • Add “the " and " forum”

0 voters

I’d just put The Watchman Community but the t should be lower case in the middle of a sentence.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Probably just need global editability of all language translation strings and email copy. Unfortunately this is technically difficult – there is a plugin that lets you override the language strings. We do plan to make more of the emails editable in the future.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

Sounds right… lots of work, little benefit. This is why I just edit my server.en.yml and move on.

(Michael Downey) #4

This is more of a grammar issue. Generally, company names or product names do not take an article before them:

http://writing.umn.edu/sws/quickhelp/grammar/articlesproper.html

Examples: The Microsoft Office, The Google, The Discourse Meta, etc.

Of course many exceptions exist; it is English, after all.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

And the winner of the polls in this topic? @sam, by granting the ability to customize this all.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Actually you mean @eviltrout I am sure.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #7

erm, yeah, sorry, got excited… so many niceties to add to my forums… thanks @eviltrout!!!

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

And with the ability to customize all text in discourse, I was also able to adjust the "continue to… " text, and all things I was hoping to get in this topic are fully delivered.

Thanks again Team.