How discourse manages bounces and unsubscribe while sending email notifications?

(Love Chopra ) #1

Hi,

Could you please help me understand how discourse manages bounces and unsubscribes of notification email, if somebody has unsubscribe will discourse also send email to them again?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

It doesn’t. If a mail address bounces (say, a user deletes their email account but not their Discourse account), it bounces.

Users can unsubscribe or disable email notifications using the link provided in every email to unsubscribe.

(Love Chopra ) #3

Thanks @codinghorror

(Emily Coles) #4

Similar, but not identical question for @codinghorror: does anything happen if a welcome message to a new member bounces? Automated removal would be awesome, or at least a notification to admins.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Unfortunately no, email bounce handling is not something we have built in yet. It requires a deep level of integration with the mail server.

(Emily Coles) #6

Roger that! Are admins able to see if a welcome message has bounced back? Then we could at least remove those new members manually.

(Michael Downey) #7

If you are using Mandrill for your SMTP server, you can have it send bounces to a pre-configured email address. Ours go into our help desk as new cases, and we update any outdated email addresses accordingly.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Going to revive this now:

I just added a site setting for bounce_email per:

This means you can manually configure a return_path for every email sent, Discourse takes care of making it unique and tracking it in the email_logs table.

The plan here is to go beyond what managed email providers do and stop Discourse from sending Emails to bouncing email addresses automatically (for escalating delays).

Best approach to "whitelist" Precedence: bulk mails
(Michael Downey) #9

I realize this field sets the value of Return-Path, but actually what should go in this new value that will be useful so that “Discourse takes care of … tracking it”?

Something like bounce@example.org that is an alias to the discourse@example.org account we are already polling via POP3?

Either I need more caffeine or this still seems a bit ambiguous. :slight_smile: :coffee:

(Sam Saffron) #10

It is still early, we don’t close the loop yet, however it will reduce the junk in your main mailbox

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Much improved bounce handling is in progress and may be complete by end of week.

@zogstrip will write a #howto on this once it’s all ready, and we will run through it on our end via a standard Digital Ocean droplet discourse install to make sure it’s solid.

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #12