How do I add a transition button to the next entry?

(Алексей Копаев) #1

There are rubrics in which it’s interesting to read all the entries, but to read the next one, you have to go back to the category and choose another record.
I think that navigation such will be convenient, it can be put it would be either in all categories, or in selective.

For clarity, he drew an example.

(Felix Freiberger) #2

In many cases, you can use Suggested Topics for a similar effect (remember that they favor the current category).
I still agree that this wouldn’t be a bad idea, though. :slight_smile:

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

A stopgap solution is to include the link to the next topic at the bottom of the first post.

(Sam Saffron) #4

One big question I have here: how does “previous” work?

“next” I can kind of see, it can be “next unread followed by next new” … so by extension “last” would need to be “last read that you are already tracking”, which may muck up “next”.

Any kind of sophisticated traversal like this is very likely going to require a plugin. But before you can even define a plugin you need to think super carefully about how next a previous work.

(Felix Freiberger) #5

Here’s how I’d see this work:

• This feature is only active if you enter a topic from a topic list like Latest or Unread. If you did so, then these buttons inherit the order from this list, so clicking Next or Previous shows you the topic below or above the current one in the list you were previously on.
  • If you enter a topic via URL, a direct link or any list that doesn’t support this feature (I’m thinking of Suggested Topics here), the buttons won’t appear at all.
  • The buttons will appear, however, if you navigate with the browser’s back button to a topic where you’ve seen them before. So, for example, if you enter topic A from Latest, click a direct link to topic B in that, then navigate back, you’ll see the buttons, and clicking Next will go to the unread topic below topic A in the Latest list.

Implementing this might be tricky, because some topic lists (like Unread) change when you enter a topic! I think the semantics that made most sense to the user would be using the state the list was in when the user entered the topic.