How do I get the categories on the homepage to display without the subcategories?

(Matt H) #1

At the moment I am trying to tidy up our discourse forum because it is looking a little cluttered. So I am aiming to display our top level categories on the homepage minus the sub categories to mirror what CodeAcademy have done with theirs (example below).

Any ideas on how CodeAcademy did this?

Any help is certainly appreciated!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I believe you set visibility on the subcategory by editing the preferences for the subcategory.

(Matt H) #4

@codinghorror @HAWK Thanks for the help, I think I was confused because I did see that option but thought it was for the top-level category

All good. It’s for the specific category (or sub-category) that’s settings you’re in.

(Matt H) #6

Sorry to bother you again but I have had a just enabled it and true to form it does remove the subcategory from the Homepage but it also removes it from the Category page?

That’s because they are the same thing. :slight_smile:

You can choose which page displays as the homepage – in the case of Codecademy it is the Categories page.

There is no such thing as a separate ‘homepage’ as such in the standard setup.

(Matt H) #8

Ok last question, I promise (crosses fingers) how do I go about designating which page is the homepage ala Codecademy?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Run the setup wizard again at /wizard – it is always safe to do so.

(Matt H) #10

Awesome, thanks Jeff! I appreciate the help :grinning: