How Do I Rollback A Discourse Update?

I recently logged onto my forum to find this error (Below)

This all happened soon after updating my software

How can I fix this? (in simple terms)

Does Discourse have a rollback feature? Why not?

Thanks for any assistance provided.


Oops - Error 500


The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We’ll take a look at it.

No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site’s feedback category.

Most of the time, this is due to an incompatible third party plugin. I recommend rebuilding with all third party plugins disabled.

1 Like

You can collect the rebuild logs to get hints which plug is to blame with



Thanks for your reply

I don’t use any plugins.

I just checked my data usage and have seen there was a huge spike in my demand on the server a few days ago. Therefore, I believe I was attacked,

Unfortunately I am not technically clued in on how to use Discourse so I am unable to fix it by myself.



If you would like to pay for help getting your site back up, my contact information is in my profile.

I seem to have experienced the same.

First, huge spike in network traffic.

btmp file grew to huge size.

After fixing, upgraded discourse via ./launcher rebuild app. Then got:

The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Using safe-mode and disabling everything still comes back to Oops.

Is anybody else seeing this?

@codinghorror, it says a log is produced that indicates the error. Is there somewhere to inspect this log? Or as @pfaffman says, use ./discourse-doctor?

I disabled all non-official plugin’s except Azure Blob storage and rebuilt. Still Oops.

This is the error from /logs:

ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `split' for nil:NilClass) /var/www/discourse/app/models/site_setting.rb:144:in `s3_base_url'

Looks like the Azure Blob plugin.

It is the Azure Blob plugin. Changes to the S3 code that enables using non-Amazon storage services break the plugin.

EDIT: Turns out that I’ve been using an earlier version of the plugin and not the official one. Switching to the official plugin solves the problem.

Moral of the story: 1) always make sure you use the official plugins, 2) if you get Oops, it is likely a plugin prob, 3) Go to host/logs and check what failed. You can probably guess which plugin is the culprit. If not, just comment out all the plugins and rebuild, 4) you need to rebuild. Safe mode doesn’t help in some core conflict cases.