How does anon posting work? (Is there any place I can try it out?)

I am interested in using discourse, but it’s hard to find out about this feature. There are threads asking how it works, but then the thread is just closed saying it was implemented.

Anyway, my main question is… if this feature is enabled, can people post without creating an account at all? That’s what I want.

Thanks

(Jeff Atwood) #2

No, it doesn’t work that way. You create an account then switch in and out of anonymous mode when posting via the user menu at the upper right.

Cool thanks, also another question… is there any place with a list of plugins… I found some outdated links which seem to 404

(cpradio) #4

There is the #plugin category

Thanks another question… is it easy to install plugins or does it require some linux type skills? I think there are some CMSes where you just drop a file somewhere and then when you go into the front end, it recognizes it… is it like that for discourse (or even easier)… or does it involve editing config files and doing a lot of stuff?

(cpradio) #6

You add them to your app.yml and tell discourse to rebuild. Then it is included.

thanks it sounds only mildly terrifying

(cpradio) #8

One thing to take note, when you see a plugin that looks interesting, go to its GitHub repo (or wherever it is stored) and look to see when it was last updated. That will tell you if it will work or not. If it hasn’t been touched in a while, you may want to avoid it.

Also if it was updated recently, there is a good chance that dev is here on Meta with some frequency and will be able to answer your questions.