How Edit Category Description?

(Blu McCormick) #1

I am embarrassed to post this, but here I am. I am unable to figure out how to edit the Category description. By category description, I mean, if you look at the linked snapshot, I want to change "Topics that don’t need a category . . . " for the Lafayette Colorado Advocacy Group to a different description.

I would have thought that to edit this I would go into this editing section to the right of the section I want to edit:

Thanks so much!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Uncategorized has special rules, search your site settings for uncategorized.

(Curtis Kephart) #4

Just to clarify, you can’t edit the uncategorized description, correct? Or am I missing something?

Searching your site settings for uncategorized reveals two options,

• allow_uncategorized_topics: Allow topics to be created without a category. WARNING: If there are any uncategorized topics, you must recategorize them before turning this off.
  • suppress_uncategorized_badge: Don’t show the badge for uncategorized topics in topic lists.

(Blu McCormick) #5

Hi @Curtis_Kephart,

If you look at a preset category like that, under security, you get this warning:

29%20AM

I am using my preseeded category for site feedback (which I am pretty sure wasn’t its original purpose). I do that at my own risk. I am not permitting posting a topic without a category. I also don’t care if I don’t have all the extra bells and whistles under edit category–>settings in this category.

If I recall correctly, I couldn’t figure out how to delete this category and chose this fix. So not advocating this approach although it has worked nicely for me so far.

You can’t delete it, correct. You can suppress it though, which does the same thing.

We’ll change the way Uncategorized works at some point. It creates a world of hurt for people.