How many types of emails does discourse send users by default?

(Sebastian) #1

Are these correct/all:

1. Email after signing up.
  2. An email with summary of top posts every x week.
  3. Email when someone has replied to your post.
  4. Email when there is an answer to a thread you follow.

(Jason Nall) #2

Looks like there are the following types of notifications to users:

• On signup
  • Signup after approval
  • Authorize email
  • Forgot password
  • Account created
  • Digest
  • User invited to private message
  • User replied
  • User quoted
  • User mentioned
  • User posted
  • User private message

(Kane York) #3

Also mailing-list-mode message!

(Sebastian) #4

jesus christ…

thats alot of emails. is there a way to turn these off?

User invited to private message
User replied
User quoted
User mentioned
User posted
User private message

My forum is for people talking about sensitive stuff, like bad emotions/traumatic experiences. Ive been told the members freak out when they get emails with their posts.

Yes… I understand its not logical since they already posted them online for everyone to see. But its not an asperger/coder forum so they feel what they feel like feeling.

(Jason Nall) #5

I think that would be as simple as overwriting the methods in user_notifications.rb so that they don’t build an email, which is an easy plugin to make. I am new to Ruby so it may be more complex than that, but still definitely possible with some coding.

(Luke S) #6

This topic might be relevant:

I should also note that every user can turn off these emails in their site settings. In fact, I have things set so that meta never sends me email:

You can find all of these by clicking your user avatar>preferences.

(James Milligan) #7

There’s the disable emails option in the admin panel, but be warned that this will disable all emails…

(Jeff Atwood) #8

No, bad idea to even mention that, it would disable new user registration emails…

(James Milligan) #9

Depends on how small a community it is, if accounts are manually approved this might not be a big overhead to approve new accounts (versus the perceived loss of privacy with emails).

Only a suggestion :smile: